Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Working the System

First, the obligatory baby bunny update: They are fine and growing and almost cute.

One of the 'joys' of life in our particular valley are allergies even for the very young. The Boy exhibited the Claritan classics: itchy, watery eyes, runny nose and sneezing. After confirming with the pediatrician's office that it was okay, I picked up children's Claritan for him - grape and chewable.

Getting him to take it was a bit harder than the diagnosis. It is hard for a 3 year old to grasp, "if you eat this, then your eyes won't itch." Although not too fussy of an eater I can appreciate that he was a bit hesitant to put this strange item in his mouth and so for the first - and only - time I offered him a Hershey Kiss for after the Claritan. Eventually this strategy worked. He ate the Claritan in order to get to the chocolate.

The next morning he ate his Claritan, no problem, and same for all of the days since. Last night on our way home from the game he said, "Mommy, my eyes are itchy."
Concerned Parent: "They are? Well, we'll get you into the tubbie and into bed and I think they will feel better."

The Boy: "My eyes are sooo itchy.... I think they need chocolate."

20 comments:

Teri said...

teehee!

mine too. :-)

Songbird said...

I'm there.

cheesehead said...

That's one bright boy you've got there.

esperanza said...

Mine too! That's as good an excuse as any, huh? Yeah, smart little guy.

peripateticpolarbear said...

makes sense to me!

Gord said...

The big question is.....


Did it Work?

will smama said...

Gord,
He got tubbie...
The next morning he got Claritin...

He did NOT get chocolate.

ElastiGirl said...

that's my kind of guy!! too cute!

concretegodmother said...

ahahaha! that's awesome! isn't it amazing how quickly they learn things! what a prodigy!

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

chocolate cures everything

St. Casserole said...

He is So right!

Listing Straight said...

We do a teaspoon of chocolate syrup for liquid medicine... Works like a charm...

Kathryn said...

Such a bright child! Thank you, W, for the smile :-) x

Rev Kim said...

He is a smart boy!

Sue said...

Smart boy! Isn't there a song about a spoonful of sugar making the medicine go down? Seems fitting somehow.

Gracebythesea said...

Ohhhhhhh!
Too Sweet!
Literally!

mid-life rookie said...

I'm with VoH. Chocolate cures everything. One way I figured out if manBoy was sick or just needing attention was to ask him what he thought would help his problem. I don't think chocolate was ever one of the answers. Your boy is smart.

Michele R said...

I just went through this with my 8-year old who had pneumonia, and had to take liquid Mucinex. He said it tasted horrible (and he's usually good about taking medicine), so I told him he could wash it down with a little soda, which he's not normally allowed.

I think Julie Andrews said it best, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!" It's hard to argue with Mary Poppins!!

Melissa said...

Now I see my problem....it's the chocolate the cures the allergies (allergies are a big issue in my part of the world too)maybe I should try some...

Smart kid! :)

Lorna said...

that's my boy :)