Sunday, January 13, 2008

Holy Nap

Today The Boy refused to nap. My parents were here just in case this happened because I knew I would absolutely positively need one. He was so desperate to keep my attention he even used the potty to keep me with him (despite Mommy's exhaustion there was a proper celebration).

Finally, he was clearly exhausted too and so once I again I brought him to his room for a nap.
"Please Mommy get in car bed?"

I figured I might as well because at that point any mattress would do. It turned out to be a decision well made when after laying there for about a minute or two he handed me one of the three of his most prized possessions and said, "Mommy want Pooh blankie?"

Truly I have never been more honored.
And yes, we both napped.

16 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Wonderful!

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

There's nothing sweeter than being taken care of by one's own child. I really do think children are angels sent to heal us.

Judy said...

Today while lying in bed with mine (almost 5, mind you) he said, "Here mommy, snuggle mommy otter with me." So mommy otter settled between us and LB drifted off to sleep. I did manage to extricate myself without him waking up enough to protest it.

Sue said...

Aaawwww....so sweet. I'm glad you were able to fit in a holy nap.

Tatusko Family said...

Awwwww!

Cathy said...

Some of my warmest memories are when I napped with my children. Treasure and embrace them.

Towanda said...

Fabulous.

more cows than people said...

wonderful.

Songbird said...

What a dear story!

Grace, Every Day said...

Nothing better, is there? I whine about it from time to time, but still love it when my baby boy (eight years old now) finds his way to my bed in the middle of the night. It's a special sort of warmth that won't last much longer...

dust bunny said...

My kids are high school and college age....I miss those snuggle naps.

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Hey, Dust Bunny, I hear ya. But my 24-year-old daughter, when she visits, does allow me to sit next to her on the sofa and hug her or massage her shoulders. Every time I kiss her cheek, I'm transported back to when I'd kiss her soft little baby cheeks. She's still my baby—all 6 feet of her.

Jiff said...

A holy nap, indeed.

God_Guurrlll said...

I love naps.

Michele R said...

Love taking naps with my boys, though they are getting fewer and farther between.

And I think it says something good about the job we're doing as parents when our kids want to take care of us.

cheesehead said...

The closest I've gotten recently to napping with my kids is sitting on WonderGirl's bed with her and the BoyWonder talking.

(aka cramping the kids'style)

This a very sweet story. You're a terrific mom.