Friday, December 21, 2007

Perfect Attendance


When I first arrived in ministry I started a Bereavement service on Christmas Eve. It was at 3pm, candlelight lessons and carols was at 7. It worked well and was reasonably attended.

In 2003, I was the bereaved. I hadn't done one since.

Tonight was the Longest Night. For the first time since 2003 we hosted - and I led - a service specifically for those who have had years not so congruent with the forced joy of the season.

One person attended.

Well... my pianist had a tough year so even though she came to help me, she definitely got something out of it.

And the deacon who was there has had a tough year too.

Then, of course, there was me.

We moved our way through the planned service, I bagged my written sermon and talked about my tattoo... well, I tied it in anyway and when it was all over we hung out and were just quiet. We watched the candles burn and we appreciated the moment in a quiet Sanctuary when in just two days it will look the same but have nowhere near the same feel.

It was perfect.
Perfect attendance.

11 comments:

cheesehead said...

(((WS)))

Kathryn said...

Glad you had this...love you xxx

Cathy said...

Sometimes the services with the fewest people are the ones that are the best. The intimacy is what we need.

We have services where when there are just a few, we are just quiet and "hang out". We understand it and get it. Thank you for sharing.

peripateticpolarbear said...

perfect attendance indeed.

Magdalene6127 said...

Perfect. (((WS)))

LadyBurg said...

What a wonderful thing to offer. You are so good!

DogBlogger said...

Perfect attendance. I love how that worked.

more cows than people said...

oh... yes. perfect. good. glad to hear it.

Towanda said...

*[

RevHRod said...

Hugs and chuks all around!

Lorna said...

:)