Friday, November 16, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Think About These Things Edition

Special props to Songbird for offering this week's guiltless diversion where I can both get my mind off my sermon and work on it at the same time.

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, NRSV)

Friends, it's nearly Thanksgiving in the U.S. and it's the time of year when we are pressed to name things for which we are thankful. I want to offer a twist on the usual lists and use Paul's letter to the church at Philippi as a model. Name five things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent or worthy of praise. These could be people, organizations, acts, ideas, works of art, pieces of music--whatever comes to mind for you.

Worthy of Praise: My parents. My current personal crisis would be unfathomably worse if I did not have them here to help with my psyche and with taking care of their grandson.

Pleasing: Naps. 'Nuff said.

Honorable: Those who are in relationships that they wanted to quit at one time or another but instead they stayed, worked through it and they and the relationship are the better for it.

True: The bond I have with my son. Truly amazing considering being a 'Mommy' does not come naturally to me and truth be told, I don't often like other people's children.

Commendable: My friends - physical and cyber - who continue to do their best to help me keep my head above water.

Peace, friends.

9 comments:

Wyldth1ng said...

Good post, good play for a friday five.

Sally said...

Thank you for an honest uplifting 5.

Sue said...

I'm totally with you on the nappage. I do love a good nap.

I so don't want to offend by saying this WS, but I would another entry under "Honorable" that would say:

Those women who are strong and brave enough to venture into a future that is not like the one she had planned. Such women recognize that they are beloved of God and deserving of only the best in life.

]*

will smama said...

Thank you Sue. I guess I should add that I do not consider staying in a relationship that is abusive or one-sided in any way to be honorable.

Songbird said...

Glad this helped.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

what an amazing gift God has given you in your son... and make no mistakes about it naps are seriously soul-filling...

Singing Owl said...

(((((((Will Smama)))))) Oops. I take that back. Here's a friendly poke instead. +++++

I am so glad you have your parents and your little guy.

Cathy said...

Napping - yes ma'am, I do believe in them.

and in the honorable thing too...

jill said...

I wrote something similar about sticking to commitments, but as one who's walked this journey just a little earlier than you, I think it's equally honorable (if not more so) to know when it's time to get out and preserve yourself.

Go, WS!