Friday, November 02, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Interview Edition

1. What was the most memorable interview you ever had?
Ummmmmmm. Probably the one I wrote about under question #3. Although now that I think about it I remember my first college interview as being a total disaster and I remember telling my Mom on the way there that it wasn't just a visit it was also an interview and her freaking out because I was wearing short and a t-shirt. No worries though, the college was in Florida so that was considered proper attire.

2. Have you ever been the interviewer rather than the interviewee? If so, are you a tiger, a creampuff, or somewhere in between?
Occasionally I have been the interviewer and I think I am in between. I like to think up scenarios even though when I am on the other side of it I HATE scenarios.

3. Do phone interviews make you more or less nervous than in-person ones?
Phone interviews are always a challenge and I remember one in particular where I just did a horrendous job of keeping everyone's names straight and answering the questions. They had listed in their information that they were looking for someone with a sense of humor (every church wants that and someone who preaches Biblically based sermons, you know rather than those Harlequin based sermons we keep hearing) and for some reason I answered just about every question they asked with, "Well, my friend said you had a good sense of humor so I thought I'd be a good fit."
Every. Question. It was terrible... but now I know better what church that is and where it is and I would not want to be there anyway.

4. What was the best advice you ever got to prepare for an interview? How about the worst?
The best - Well, now that I am older it seems like a no-brainer but after my first job interview out of college - which I didn't get - the pastor who was involved in the interview told me I should always have questions to ask the interviewees.

The worst - Go ahead and order the wine at the dinner interview.

5. Do you have any pre-interview rituals that give you confidence?
Just read over their materials again looking for specifics that I can incorporate into my answers... and oh yeah, check my teeth!

2 comments:

Wyldth1ng said...

I now know how to not conduct myself in a phone interview, thank you.

Checking teeth, good one, I will remember that.

Mother Laura said...

Love the Harlequin based sermons....