Saturday, November 24, 2007

Firsts


Nothing says 'single parent' more than lugging up the Christmas decorations from the basement by yourself.


Before our world was turned upside down my plan was to pull out every Christmas decoration and as they were going away post-Christmas make a 'youth garage sale' pile. However, our youth have quit the garage sale business and this year seems like a good time to go by the KISS approach: Keep It Simple Stupid.


There will be no post Church Open House on the last Sunday before Christmas and no other parties scheduled (I resisted temptation on that one) so there is really no reason to deck every hall.


I was wondering how much The Boy would even care other than yelling, "Careful Mommy!" down into the basement as I was pushing and pulling the tree box up the steps (just like in the days of yore). But when I opened the box his eyes lit up and he exclaimed, "Oh Mommy... it's BEAUTIFUL!"


I wonder what he'll say when I take it OUT of the bubble wrap!

13 comments:

Cathy said...

I remember that 1st Christmas after my life was turned upside down. It was different.

And who says you have to totally DECK THE HALLS to have people over? They are there to see you, not your decking.

esperanza said...

I just had my Thanksgiving guests haul the stuff down from the attic. Nothing says "welcome to our halls" better than "deck them yourselves," right?

Sue said...

I like your approach esperanza!

WS, the Boy is killin' me with teh Cute. Whatever is easiest and most satisfying for you sounds like the right way to go.

Songbird said...

That is so sweet!!

ppb said...

Oh, teh boy, teh cute!

I say a tree and a nativity and call it a year. And you don't even have to decorate the tree, as apparently bubble wrap is all it takes to make teh boy happy!

Cathy said...

I second what ppb says - - simplicity and keep teh boy happy - and who says you can't decorate a tree with bubble wrap?

PK said...

I'm thinking a tree... a nativity... and a few presents wrapped in big boxes with lots of bubble wrap for the boy. I know you aren't a fan... but... ((o)).

Towanda said...

Make the boy happy. Make you happy, too.

*[

Mary Beth said...

Yup. Do exactly what you like. Maybe this year the tree will entirely be done in Boy made decor. Paper chains go a long way!

LadyBurg said...

heehee Wish I could see his face. He'll love the tree!

And I think KISS is a great idea.

revrosa said...

]* You row with such grace...

Identity Mixed said...

Too cute. Good boy!

Crimson Rambler said...

Christmas when the world's all upside down...yes. Had one of those. Then there was the Christmas when matters were finally clear (8 years later). Daughter Unit and I went to the mall on Christmas Eve day early in the morning, 70% discount on ornaments, already. And we were clear, if any part of the tree was visible when decorating was done -- WE WOULD HAVE FAILED UTTERLY!!! It was a statement. The departed member of the household was a "less is more" person. WRONG in this as in much else. It was a glorious Christmas