Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Too High Maintenance

I don't like Halloween. Never have. I would often refuse to wear a costume when I was younger and I would stay home to hand out the candy.

Today I took The Boy to his music class and all of the other kids were in their costumes. Even the baby. THE BABY! HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IT'S HALLOWEEN!!! I have a costume for The Boy. He has worn it twice, once for pictures while at the beach and once for his school's parade but did I think to just randomly put it on him for our music class? No. Did they send out a memo? No. Perfect Moms just automatically know that 10/31 is a costume day and this Grumpy Halloween Scrooge Mom just wanted to get out the door and to the class relatively on time.

And I think that now gets added to my long list of reasons for not liking Halloween (right after 'adults have taken the fun out of it' and 'it is a holiday celebrating nothing and yet people spend gobs of money decorating their houses').

To add insult to grumpiness I cannot go to yoga tonight because there is no childcare because it is trick or treat night. Sounds like it's movie night for The Boy and I. Upstairs. With the blinds closed just in case someone actually drives here and comes to the door. I have laundry to fold anyway.


Yours Truly,

Grumpy Goblin

13 comments:

revrosa said...

Amen, and Amen, and Amen. I might even be an even worse mom. I am actually glad that we are getting some of the outer edges of Tropical Storm Noel coming through South Florida so it is going to be too messy for trick-or-treating. (I am only allowing myself that glee because the weather folks don't anticipate that we'll get any damage). Hope there's a great movie and your laundry folding is a nice, grounding, spiritual excercise :)

LadyBurg said...

Too bad about yoga. I think yoga is good for goblins - helps their backs. :) Hope the movie is good. Nicely folded clean laundry is wonderful. Do the sheets too - nothing better than climbing into clean sheets after a crappy Halloween around those irritating moms. What is up with that? I would never have known.

Wyldth1ng said...

You know you could put out a bowl of candy on your doorstep. No one need tt bother you at all.

ppb said...

He is teh cuteness!

Drew said...

However you do have to say he is a cute witto bunny wabbit.

will smama said...

Actually, if I lived where ladyburg does - or in any neighborhood at all - I would probably be more into it. But the idea of piling him into a hot costume to drive to a neighborhood to take part in a ritual he really knows nothing about seems bizarre to me.

And the picture is from far back so I understand why you would go with bunny, but in fact he is an elephant.

Kathryn said...

Well, if anyone half as delightful as The Boy turned up on my doorstep tonight, I'd break open the champagne!
We're doing quite a brisk trade - I'm only giving sweets out to little kids, on the whole (though there was one quite amazingly funny clown's nose on a young teen, which so subverted the whole "i'm supposed to be vaguely scary" message of the rest of his costume he had to have bonus points)
I'm ironing to a film, - so will think of you....two laundresses, divided by an ocean ;-)

IdentityMixed said...

We already had our Trick or Treat. Always the Thursday before so the kids can have their Halloween parties on Friday at school and the sugar rush must be dealt with by the parents. Actually kinda makes sense.

And mine go... both the toddler and the baby. But I like chocolate WAAAAAY too much to not go.

Purechristianithink said...

At my daughter's music school they had a Halloween recital complete with kids wearing costumes. Over the top if you ask me . . .

Songbird said...

Oh, so grinchy.

more cows than people said...

i'm not a big halloween fan either. once my mom stopped making cool costumes for me (the crayon was my favorite) it became... yes, too high maintenance for me.

led bible study during the witching hour tonight.

more my pace.

Michele R said...

Yeah, what's with all the decorating? I did my carved pumpkins yesterday afternoon, lit them for last night, but that's about it. So many houses that we saw had orange & purple lights, or strings of lights with Halloween themes. A lot of people have had fake carved pumpkins in their windows for weeks now. Maybe it's practice for Christmas decorating?!

Mother Laura said...

Hope it was fun. We were grinchy goblins too after taking kid #2 out very briefly (kid #1 lost the privilege for backtalk) but learned you gotta be careful ignoring that door pounding. Two the pounders were not demanding children, but the nice neighbor and security guard trying to avert the towing of the car by the mean neighbor (our spots are close by and next to identical little blue cars and I accidentally parked in hers for the second time in two years--leaving our spot available for her. And when she did to us once we didn't tow her). Of course, neither of the grownups bothered to speak in a grownup voice or say "security" or anything, even though the security guy apparently suspected we were hiding out from trick or treat. Sigh.