Thursday, October 04, 2007

To the Mom Who Still Glares at Me

I am so sorry.

First, let me tell you that I TOTALLY understand that your child was comfortably sleeping in her car seat when you came to pick up your toddler from the same school that mine goes to. And I TOTALLY appreciate that your plan was to carry the sleeping child in her car seat and pick up your toddler from his wonderful first day of school and have time to hear from him all about his day... maybe even look around the facilities a little bit.

And when my car alarm went off frightening your sleeping child into an immediate state of wailing frenzy you had every right to be absolutely infuriated at the owner of the offending vehicle. And then when that owner looked at you practically catatonic with an alarm blaring that Helen Keller could have heard from 5 miles out and said, "Is that my alarm?" Indeed... incredulous is absolutely the word to use here.

Please know that I too really was stunned. And I am not an idiot, I was just a Mom in the midst of picking up her own son from his very first day of school and entering a new world where his Dad was there too, but not because we are a family any more but rather because my son was going to his house afterwards. I unlocked and opened my van to pull my son's backpack out that had his clothes and toothbrush in it and for some random, inexplicable reason the car alarm went off.

No key pad had been touched and the doors were already open - this is why I had that look on my face.

I turned off the alarm. I apologized and I apologized again and then realized there was nothing else I could do.

So you see, it was an accident. I didn't set it off on purpose and I own the fact that I came off looking like a little more than an idiot. Your daughter appears to be fully recovered now and so I ask please... can you stop glaring at me now?

Peace.
Will Smama

ps - Have you seen my bad ass tattoo?

16 comments:

PPB said...

I think the tattoo should have quelled her anger in the first place. Did you try flashing it?

Songbird said...

I wish we could all understand each other better, especially mommies.

Mary Beth said...

See, I'm in an angry place right now. So my thought was, could you have KICKED her with the tattoo foot?

Sorry. I'll calm down soon.

love ya.

cheesehead said...

"Screws fall out. The world is an imperfect place."

I never tire of that line.

(For me it's right up there with: "Dick--does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?")

You sure have some hyper mommies at that school. They could use a little "hesed". I'm sure the school is worth it, though.

will smama said...

That is a good line - the music place is different than the school and I am more than willing to own that some of this stuff is me putting things on them.

But that particular Mom glaring at me twice a week is NOT a illusion.

The initial car alarm happened well before the tattoo. And when I tell the story, can actually be quite funny... but obviously, se doesn't think so.

revrosa said...

what is it with everyone taking themselves so seriously???? I'm glad for Hesed made flesh...

RevHRod said...

Oh, you made me laugh out loud!

And then I started wondering what Glaring Mommy's problem was. I think you should show her the tattoo. Either it will scare her into submission because you're such a bad ass. Or it will make her feel better because she needs more hesed in her life. Either way, she should also lighten up. And the tattoo could maybe help her do that too. ;-)

Wyldth1ng said...

The post was funny, and has made my day.

(You, clergy, are strange that you use Hebrew in regular conversation, though.)

Questing Parson said...

I'm sorry. I thought the tattoo was on your leg.

Identity Mixed said...

I just have the bad driver mom in the CRV at my son's school who I have to make sure I get in front of - found out the hard way she STOPS at yield signs. We all have to interact with THOSE moms.

DogBlogger said...

Questing Parson, you crack me up!

St. Casserole said...

I want mommies to get along, to give each other breaks and to stop thinking they are the only mommies in the world.

you did well and who knew?that your alarm would go off? geez, the woman is lucky if that's the worst thing happening to her today...

I thought your tattoo was on your leg, too. heh heh

Hieromonk Don Pardo said...

Please know that I too really was stunned. And I am not an idiot, I was just a Mom in the midst of picking up her own son from his very first day of school and entering a new world where his Dad was there too, but not because we are a family any more but rather because my son was going to his house afterwards.

Now I'm puzzled, ws. Why are you saying this publicly to the 1.25 billion of us who can read your blog, instead of to the woman herself, in person?

will smama said...

Because it's not worth it. I am quite sure that this is one of those situations where the more I try to explain 'in person' the worse it will become.

Besides, glaring Mom does not need to know - nor does she deserve to know me better by hearing - my story.

If the other person involved were someone I needed to salvage a relationship with, I would.

Ruby said...

Glaring at other mommies is a big no-no. No one's entitled to your story, but maybe she's got a story of her own. Who knows? Then again, she may just be a pill.

Hieromonk Don Pardo said...

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying.

Be well, ws.