Friday, September 21, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Clutter Edition

This week's Friday Five from the revgalblogpals!

Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5:

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?
I think with a choice between the two I would go with minimalist, but I am by no means clutter-free.

2. Name one important object (could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.
Right now I am thinking the art project that The Boy did that I had laminated into a placemat for him. I also have a cross that was made with layer after layer of cloth, each piece intricately cut into a pattern around its edges, one piece just smaller than the one before made by my great great grandfather. It is absolutely gorgeous and unique.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???
I have a sweatshirt that a friend gave me his freshman year at Northwestern. I visited him there as part of my summer between junior and senior year of college spent in the Chicago area. So the sweatshirt is... hold while I do the algorithm... 16 years old. The cuffs are gone and the neckline is rough but it is THE PERFECT curl-up-in-a-chair-with-the-cat-and-coffee-and-book shirt. I am sure you have one too.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?
Not my thing, but I don't hate them. I end up buying stuff because it is ridiculously priced and then I have that clutter at MY house.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.
I wish recycling were easier here. For folks where I live recycling means burning... even plastic - it. is. gross. Someday I would be interested in getting into the whole compost thing but it seems pretty labor-intensive to at least get it going so that will have to wait until after I write this sermon!

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add....
One of my fun memories from youth was spending Saturday mornings once a month helping with recycling with my Girl Scout troop. Our borough was not exactly on the cutting edge, but not everyone had recycling at that time. It saddens me that where I live now this is still the system - once a month bring your recyclables to the municipal lot. Come on people!

13 comments:

Counselor in Process said...

Wow, during my youth, recycling was cycling than going cycling again! Great post!

"PS" said...

You know that t-shirt, which is getting thinner because of all the wear, the banding is holding on by a thread...yep...have it on right now.

reverendmother said...

Don't tell PeaceB**** about the sweatshirt! She'll turn you in ;-)

Shalom said...

I have become a composting fanatic - it really is easy. Hope you get to try it!

Well played.

Rev Kim said...

Oh yeah, we can never give away that perfect curling-up t-shirt. Great play!

rev maria said...

Mine's my old sorority sweatshirt that's faded and stained and has chunks out of the collar where the bird nibbles on it. . .

Mary Beth said...

Mercy. I never heard of recycling until the mid 80's...what a concept that you grew up doing it.

Wait...

you're younger than me...

nevermind.

Rev Scott said...

I remember stacks of newspapers waiting for the Boy Scouts in my hometown (course, I was out of the Boy Scouts by then, but that's another story) to collect them. But, like you, we burned everything - tin, plastic, you name it. Uff da, when I think of the soot we've released over the years! I compost now, but I know it's not for everyone; Recycle Nazis like me get self-righteous far too easy!

mompriest said...

recycling didn't even exist when I was young...certainly not part of the vernacular...

And, that summer you were at Northwestern, I probably lived across the street. It's beautiful there by the lake front, don't you think. (Oh, I know, it's NOT the ocean, but still?)...

And the sweartshirt, yeah, I have one too.

DogBlogger said...

I feel so IN, because we started our compost heap (container) this week!

will smama said...

rev scott, I don't burn - people from 'round here burn.

Cathy said...

I think your grandmother's cross is worthy of a picture on your blog. I would like to see it.

will smama said...

Cathy, I thought of that but I am not sure any kind of picture could do it justice but I will try.

Thanks.