Thursday, September 20, 2007

No Longer Taken for Granted

Monday is my day off.

This past Monday The Boy and I slept in until after 8. He played while I did a few things that needed to be done upstairs and then we came down together for breakfast. He played some more while I did a few more things downstairs and then we headed out for a hike. We brought the dog.

The Boy learned that you cannot possibly catch up to the dog even though he remains tantalizingly within your eyesight. The Boy also learned that if you are very, very quiet you can hear trees creak and that three walking sticks is one walking stick too many.

We came home and were joined by a friend and her little boy who is a year younger. We all ate pizza and she took some hand-me-down clothes home as I attempt to soften the blow of most likely not needing them.

They left and then came naps for both - his was longer and so I was able to get a few more things done. We played outside afterwards and then came dinner and playing on the floor for both of us.

Since then I have had a busy day, a weird day and a lonely day. I have had sad moments, painful moments, respite moments and friend-filled moments and I know there are quite a few interesting days and moments to come.

But it sure was nice late on Monday evening to respond to a friend's question with, "It was a good day."

12 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm so glad that it WAS a genuinely good day - and am praying for many more of them, till they can once again be taken for granted. But you wrung my heart with your reflection on passing on clothes...Have a hug to store somewhere in case it's needed.

Mark Smith said...

YAY!

Please accept this celebratory hug.

(ws)

introspectreangel said...

This was a lovely, reflective post, and I enjoyed it very much...mostly because it struck a deep chord in me. Sometimes it's painful to admit, because it implies a lacking in my mothering in The Time Before, but I am enjoying Boy-o and being his mom more now than I ever have in his short life. The ugly distractions of my unhealthy relationship with his father have been removed, and every morning that Boy-o walks into my room to play snuggle monster is a great gift. You will have many, many more days like this...peace.
-Angel

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Children are angels sent to heal our hearts.

Sue said...

I'm glad you had a good day. You deserve it.

ppb said...

Three walking sticks is indeed one too many. Here's to good days!

Songbird said...

Wish I could do more on the lonely days, and so grateful for the good ones.

esperanza said...

I'm so grateful that you can be thankful for the good days. And the passing-on-clothes sentence made me sad for you, too. May this Monday to come be just as full of grace.

And I first thought you were talking about the walking sticks that are bugs, not sticks. (Do you have those where you are?)

AKMA said...

I dunno, you never can tell when a third walking stick might come in handy. Maybe take four.

Identity Mixed said...

I adore that Boy.... and his special Mom.

Towanda said...

thankful with you for the good day.

Deb said...

(o) and (hug) and may you have many more uplifting moments...

Deb