Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Scooter


I had a post almost finished for today, but I will now save it for tomorrow as the source of one of my favorite childhood memories joined the Church Triumphant today, Phil Rizzuto.

I actually wrote about him in one of our Friday Five's.

He was a Hall of Fame shortstop for the New York Yankees and won the MVP in 1950. Ted Williams said that if the Red Sox had Phil Rizzuto playing shortstop then they would have won all of those World Series instead of the Yankee teams that included other greats such as Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle.

But my memories come from his calling the play-by-play over the radio and me listening to 770AM deep into the night, acting out the game with my 'Bucky Dent' baseball bat and my 'Ron Guidry' glove.

Alas, if you are not a baseball fan, but you are a music fan then all you have to do is listen to Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light. The baseball 'innuendo' is delivered by none other than Scooter.

You can learn more about who he was here.

Thanks.

4 comments:

cheesehead said...

That's twice now this week that someone has referenced that song on a blog that I read regularly.

(Actually the other mention was a comment someone left on my blog, "helpfully" reminding me that my kid is "probably" doing the thing in the song. And I don't mean baseball. Um...thanks. Not.)

I love that song.

Songbird said...

Aww. And I love your old blog entry, too.
Scooter was the subject of a question on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me just a couple of weeks ago.

Girl said...

I thought of you when I heard this.

Hope you are feeling better.

Diane said...

we take off our hats today...