Friday, August 03, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Pilgrimage Edition

I have not been on a pilgrimage so I do not have much to say here, but I so desperately wanted to post something other than how sad and tired I am that I decided to give it a shot anyway. This week's Friday Five is from reverend mother:

Hello friends, I am just back from a lovely time of pilgrimage in the isle of Iona, "cradle of Scottish Christianity." It has provided much food for thought, to say the least, and so, to keep the pilgrim mojo going:

1. Have you ever been on a pilgrimage? (however you choose to define the term) Share a bit about it. If not, what's your reaction to the idea of pilgrimage?
I really haven't although I could discuss how going to the beach now that I have moved away or going to the Super Bowl in 1991 are and were pilgrimages for me, I do not want to insult those who are speaking purely of holy experiences.

2. Share a place you've always wanted to visit on pilgrimage.
You know... I really haven't thought about it except to say that I would love to go to the Holy Land but as the mother of a toddler I have more than once made the decision that it is a risk I cannot take.

3. What would you make sure to pack in your suitcase or backpack to make the pilgrimage more meaningful? Or does "stuff" just distract from the experience?
Stuff does distract, but I would be sure to bring a journal and a meditation book and a pocket Bible.

4. If you could make a pilgrimage with someone (living, dead or fictional) as your guide, who would it be? (I'm about thisclose to saying "Besides Jesus." Yes, we all know he was indispensable to those chaps heading to Emmaus, but it's too easy an answer)
Hmmm, good one. I would bring Ladyburg and Listing Straight because they both have the right balance of knowledge and levity. Of course we would need to get Ladyburg reasonable shoes.

5. Eventually the pilgrim must return home, but can you suggest any strategies for keeping that deep "mountaintop" perspective in the midst of everyday life? (don't mind me, I'll be over here taking notes)
All the things I don't do - consistent prayer/quiet/meditative time. And since you are taking notes reverend mother I want to wish you extra good luck with that now that #3 is almost here.

12 comments:

reverendmother said...

I'm with you on #2. And #4 in terms of needing people who know how to have fun.

Beach (and OK, maybe even Superbowl) can be pilgrimages! There's too much distinction between "secular" and "holy." It's in the eye of the beholder.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

you included the SB... I like it! stick with those who laugh with you and who keep you grounded... gifts that they are.

ppb said...

I think with Ladyburg and shoes, you might just need to buy them and pack them in your own bag. Because she would never put them in, if it meant taking out the leopard print pumpsl

LadyBurg said...

Ahhh, ppb, you beat me to it! I was just going to say that I'm perfectly capable of hiking over cobblestone streets with leopard print pumps. One needs to look good on these pilgrimages!

But if it would make you feel better, I'd pack flats (but I'm not taking out the leopard print!). :) Just for you, will smama, and because I'd be honored to join you.

suffer said...

The beach is a very holy place to me, made so by virtue of the fact that I see God's hands in the sand and sky and water, and even more so by the fact that I simply long to be there. And unless the sand is very, very hot, you don't NEED shoes! See, how much better can it get? :)

cpclergymama said...

I'm with you as a toddler mommy! Right now that's not on the top of my list of riskes.
The beach and yes even the superbowl are worthy pilgrimages in my book! Good play!

Lorna said...

Sally (eternal echoes) goes to the beach for her pilgrimages and HolyIsland (Lindesfarne) is more or less a cut off island where you walk across the sand at low tide. You'd love it!

Oh and you can use the oar to row back :)

Bless you and the boy. God's with you in this - and as I've been learning in every mess there is a message. May you hear his love loud and clear right now dear friend.

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

I would love to go to the Super Bowl! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Shawna Renee said...

Anyplace that has water is a holy place as far as I'm concerned. Great answers.

mompriest said...

In the space you are in at this moment in time, a massage might feel like a pilgramige (assuming one enjoys massages)...(they have been for me on occasion).

glad you played, even feeling as you do. Often, through these days, all we can do is get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. and then the other. and breath.

Rev Scott said...

Super Bowl? For most Americans, that would be a religious experience, wouldn't it? :-)

Identity Mixed said...

Pilgramage! I'm with you on the SB... but only if the Steelers play.