Sunday, July 29, 2007

When You Lose Your Sail, Row.

As some of you know I hung out for a couple of days down in Hot-lanta with the following:
Cheesehead
Questing Parson
Quotidian Grace
Reverend Mommy
Songbird
St. Casserole
Take My Hand
Mary Beth

It had only been a bit more than a week since my marriage had visibly unraveled and needless to say I was in need of a little TLC. There are not too many groups I would have trusted with my fragile psyche at that point but I had met Songbird and St. Casserole already and knew that this cyber community could be trusted both over teh internets and in person.


At the end of their board meeting and before the big event planning meeting on day 2 I was moving my stuff into the group and St. Casserole was talking. Now you have to understand that if I stopped at full attention every time St. Casserole was talking I would still be in Mississippi from my mission trip in October! So I was surprised when Songbird directed me to get my stuff together and sit down and listen.

As you know St. Cass is part of a family of survivors. More than once storms have come in and ravaged family holdings and businesses and boats and more than once they have picked up and rebuilt again. Whenever things seem particularly bleak they have a phrase, "When you lose your sail, row."

It is this phrase and their signatures that were placed on an oar (a St. Casserole garage sale specialty) and given to me to help keep me afloat.

As the shock of this whole thing has begun to wear off more than once I have felt like I have lost my sail and more than once I have appreciated this phrase and the visible sign of my friends holding me in prayer. And more than once I have been reminded to row.

This oar is on the living room mantle, front and center, placed immediately below one of my favorite pictures of the ocean.

Some day I will remember how to sail and the oar and the reminder will no longer need to be front and center in my life. But for now the friends and the oar are surrounding me and The Boy, keeping us afloat.

Thanks.


39 comments:

cheesehead said...

It's risky, but...

(((ws)))

(You wouldn't make fun of a woman who is crying, now would you?)

St. Casserole said...

Tears here, too.

Geez, ws, get me all plulklempt!

Glad you like it. We love you and we know you will survive and thrive even if you don't yet believe this.

XXX and a shoulder chuck.

Songbird said...

I hope you won't mind if I say I love you, will smama.

ppb said...

What a cool gift!

zorra said...

Beautiful.

Pink Shoes said...

Lovely.

LadyBurg said...

Oh, you so made me cry!

A great gift from great people to one of the greatest women I know.

Serena said...

It's such an appropriate gift ... touching, heart warming ... offering prayers of thanksgiving for our great leaders, and prayers for strength and healing for you and The Boy.

Alex said...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. You continue to be in my prayers.

DogBlogger said...

Beautiful.

"PS" said...

Some very cool and wisdom-filled people...all the way around.

I have been holding you all in grace and compassion, even though I am not a ring member and just started to blog. Feels just a bit awkward, not knowing you, or having commented before, but I think the oar and the symbolism around it are so very, very strong. I am an image person, so perhaps that is where that is coming from.

Grace and Peace

Rev Dr Mom said...

That is totally awesome.

Teri said...

agreed on the awesomeness and the large and tear-filled prayers on your behalf.
Though I admit that when I first read this through I thought "how did you get that on a plane?" Then I had a vague memory that maybe you drove to the ATL and that made more sense.
I'm going to bed now, but not without praying for y'all first...

Lorna (see through faith) said...

Tears here too.

what a gift - what a circle of friends.

blessings as you row :) then sail again ... and then fly !

Kathryn said...

Oh goodness...When Songbird told me they were getting you an OAR I had no idea what was really going on. Hugs (sorry, but there you are)and blessings and prayers for the stamina you need to keep on rowing for now...

Mary Beth said...

Love ya

which is different than "love you"

but both are true

so there ;)

Diane said...

wonderful gift... to get you through

will smama said...

Yes Teri, we drove.

Thank you all for your tears and prayers and our behalf.

Although admittedly the triple X from St. Casserole and the love proclamations and Ladyburg clearly confusing me with someone else admittedly has me a bit nervous.

Mrs. M said...

I'm so glad you have this.

Quotidian Grace said...

]* WS.

Thanks for posting this and for the picture of the oar on your mantel.

Keep rowing and we'll keep praying!

Towanda said...

beautiful gift...beautiful people, all the way around...

still praying for you, ws...

Identity Mixed said...

I saw it when I was at your house, but didn't want to say anything. I had a feeling that tears might be involved and I'm not ready to go there.

I needed to be a little selfish. Sorry.

will smama said...

I hear ya IM but fear not, right now I could not cry if I wanted to - and sometimes I actually do. My brain is still stuck on 'northeast practical'.

John Shuck said...

My prayers are with you. Apologies for the bad timing on the Revgal link. I appreciate what you do.

St. Casserole said...

Last night, I woke up thinking, "did will smama say I talk alot?"

I reread your post and I believe you think I talk alot which is not possible since I allow everyone a word in edgewise sometimes but not all the time and I have a great deal to say on every subject which means I offer my opinion and so forth which I thought was appreciated and now you tell me people are glazing over which I thought was admiration and awe.

Oh.

will smama said...

St. Cass, if I were as funny and as insightful as you are I would talk all the time too.

(((sc)))

Ha, HA! - hugged ya.

LadyBurg said...

Nope, I checked - I got the right lady.

Singing Owl said...

LOL at St. Cass. And some tears here, and a lump in the throat. What a wonderful gift of love! Bless each of them, and you.

1-4 Grace said...

truly beautiful.
Now, we ahve to create a visual for you. No hugs or shoulder chucks this time.
Here's me (5'3 female, weighs mroe than I should, and has size 34B girls).
Picture me running up to you and givng you a chest bump, just like the ball players do. No worries with earrings, boosoms or reaky perfume. It looks liek this in cyber-space...
(!@@!)
Seriously,
Love and hugs and prayers to you, dear

RevRosa said...

May good things come your way today, no matter how small. (And I am already collecting firecrackers for when it's time to make the "anio viejo".

Sue said...

What a beautiful gift and a lovely post.

]* WS

(As a side-note: love 1-4 grace's chest bump. However, don't believe a word of that "weigh more than I should" stuff - puhleeze! :) )

karlajean said...

Perfect gift...and symbol to embrace as you navigate through this part of your journey. Thank you for a dear and loving post...

Martha said...

sniff sniff, I am sorry I couldn't make Atlanta. I love your oar and the saying. And I love the picture it is underneath. I have been thinking of you as you continue to get your bearings. And I will continue to pray for you.

Sally said...

((wonderful)))

Deb said...

and that's why I love RevGals so much...

Hang in and hang tight with Jesus...

love,
Deb

Kievas said...

wow!

Shawna Renee said...

RevGals rock! What a wonderful and thoughtful gift. You're in my prayers too will smama. {{{{hugs}}}}

Lorna (see through faith) said...

I (probably along with others!) nominated this for the Weds festival but couldn't resist coming back - re-reading- enjoying again what Rev Gals really is all about -

and then laughing and crying through the comments.

What a set of rev gals and pals

(!@@!) indeed!

the reverend mommy said...

]* WS