Monday, July 02, 2007

life

In that analogy where life is compared to a roller coaster, which part is supposed to be the fun part - the excruciating, slow going up where you are waiting to fall or plummeting into the abyss?

Just wondering.

[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room] Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.
Karen: I happen to LIKE the roller coaster, okay? As far as I'm concerned, your grandmother is brilliant.
Gil: Yeah if she's so brilliant why is she sitting in our NEIGHBOR'S CAR?

5 comments:

Songbird said...

]*

reverendmother said...

God I love that movie.

"I hate messy. It's... so messy."

Unfortunately I don't know what ]* is.

cheesehead said...

]* is a chuck on the shoulder. It's for people who really don't want hugs so much.


WS: ]*

Lorna said...

(o) ... well it's definitely NOT the waiting in the queue.

mz said...

huh...what does it mean that TF and I started watching this movie months ago and we didn't get to watch the last third. On Monday, while packing to come visit you, the end was on TV. I sat down and watched it and remember this dialogue.

It probably means nothing more than what any other coincidences mean. Or, it could mean what it has every potential of meaning to two sisters.

I love you. I say it a lot, but you should hear it again.