Friday, May 25, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Hard Habit to Break



This one is from reverend mother:

1. Have you ever successfully quit a bad habit, or gotten a good habit established? Tell us about how you did it.
Well, currently I am exercising successfully. I have long term and short term goals - neither of which revolve around numbers. I joined the 'Y' with my Mom and combined with decent child care options this has kept me going regularly. I know how easy it is to fall off that wagon though so I am just taking one week/day at a time.

2. "If only there were a 12-step program for________!"
Finger chewing/picking. I know it is gross - but from a quick glance around the ring I am not the only one. Freud would have a field day with me because it is so clearly an oral fixation - I do it when I am hopped on caffeine, when my hands are not otherwise occupied (driving is a BIG one) and right after meals. I was able to stop chewing my nails, but the final step towards healthy looking hands has so far eluded me.

3. Share one of your healthy "obsessions" with us.
Well, right now it's getting to the gym and getting no less than 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer - maybe even an hour. Just me and my iPod and a sweat that lets me know I've worked hard! That's me up there on the left - ha, ha!

4. Share the habit of a spouse, friend or loved one that drives you C-R-A-Z-Y.
Well right now whenever you tell The Boy something he wasn't expecting he says, "HUH?" - just like my Dad.

5. "I'd love to get into the habit of ___________________."
Reading. I was one of those kids that read using a flashlight under the covers, but I just cannot get back into it - whether it's not finding books I like or not carving out the time (most likely more the latter than the former).

Bonus: What is one small action you might take immediately to make #5 a reality?
Well, in a way it's already begun as I am trying to take my laptop home less in order to be present for my family. TDH likes various tv programs which thanks to the 'Y' schedule I have learned I can live without. So the time is slowly being carved out for me to have some reading time.

Bonus 2: Try it, and let us know how it goes in a future post!
Next chance I get I will hit the library and keep you posted.

11 comments:

Diane said...

I took the flashlight under the covers too (now I'm nearsighted). My reading habits have waxed and waned. Sometimes I just can't get enough. Sometimes I have a hard time getting into it. But I love books.

Sally said...

I was a flash light under the covers kid- still am, and I wish I could get into a regular exercise routine- I am terrible at that- and impressed at your resolve!

mompriest said...

Good for you, all that consistent exercise. I was until I got sick last fall...I'm sure I'll get it back.

Anyway, your welcome for the photo detour...not the same as being there...

Presbyterian Gal said...

We must be twins.

Iris said...

I'm impressed, WS!
I've never been on an elliptical machine. Is it easier than the freakin' stairmaster?

will smama said...

iris - YES!!!

zorra said...

That picture is hilarious.

Reading with a flashlight under the covers always felt a bit claustrophobic to me. My solution was to stuff a blanket under the door so my mom wouldn't know that the light was on. Worked fine until I fell asleep like that one night, and my ruse was discovered in the morning.

mompriest said...

Even spellcheck, if we had it for the comment section, would not have picked up on my typo for "your" when it should have been "you're"...oh my I hate it when I do that, leave typos.... I was moving too fast trying to post while at the same time trying to prepare for my son's 15th birthday dinner (BBQ ribs - yum...). yeesh..

will smama said...

mp, please... spelling was the only thing I did well in school and yet I am constantly mixing up here/hear - there/their - you're/your in the comments.

I think it is an amnesty zone.

Cathy said...

I am up to 6 minutes on the elliptical - increasing by 1 minute every time I go.

will smama said...

Good for you Cathy!