Friday, May 18, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Big Event Edition

Did you know that the major purpose for forming a non-profit, RevGalBlogPals, Inc., was to be able to attract grant support for a large scale RevGalBlogPal meetup? My dream from the beginning has been attracting financial support that would allow as many of our bloggers to be together as possible.RGBP, Inc. now has a planning committee, and we are in the early stages of planning the RevGalBlogPal Big Event. What, When, Where and Who are all on the table at the moment. In that spirit, I bring you the Big Event Friday Five.

1. What would the meeting be like? (Continuing Ed? Retreat? Outside Speakers? Interest Groups? Workshops? Hot Stone Massages? Pedicures? Glorified Slumber Party?)
I gotta tell you, I am with Quotidian Grace in that I am a bit seminar'ed and speaker'ed out. Especially for this first get together I would love to just BE with folks - meeting them face to face and relaxing together, enjoying one another's company.

We all work HARD - we do not have to be 'doing something' in order to make this a worthy thing to do. Of course, if getting grants means having programming I would love to use our own resources - who is great at computer stuff, who has a passion for art and/or music, etc... I also think an 'Evening with the Matriarchs' could be fun. Kind of a panel where we can throw out questions and challenges and hear how the veterans would handle it and at the very least feel supported and know that we are not alone.

2. When in 2008 might you be able to attend? January? Shortly after Easter? Summer? Fall? Some other time?
I think right after a major holiday would be good - beginning weeks of January (Ash Wednesday is early this year, 2/6!) or right after Easter, early April (Easter is 3/23). Summers get difficult with denominational meetings, kid vacations and mission and youth trips. Travel is also more expensive in the summer but of course weather could be an issue in the winter.

In the interest of full disclosure I may be in some classes three weeks out of June so that would be another reason to stay away from May/June dates for me!

3. Where would your dream meeting location be? (Urban Hotel? Rural Retreat Center? New England Camp? Southwestern Fantasy Hotel? Far away from civilization? Nearby Outlets or Really Great Thrift Stores?)

You know, really I'm open. I would lean more on the side of being near a hub airport so it is easier to get to than the perfect natural, remote location.

Fantasy location: All expenses paid, full amenities Club Med type place.

4. Who would make a great keynote speaker? (That's if #1 leads us in that direction.)
Again, a keynoter is not a big desire for me.

5. Did I leave out something you want to suggest?
I have been thinking a lot about families. Are families (children, partners, etc...) specifically excluded OR welcomed but not covered in any way shape or form OR specifically included. I could do any of the three but for some childcare or at least child acceptance might be the only way they can come.



Either way there are a lot of great ideas and opinions out there. I sure am glad I am not one of the ones responsible for putting it together... oh wait, I am!

12 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I love the idea of an Ask the Matriarchs panel!

Sally said...

love the fantasy location :-)... good post- hope you've got your feet up after wearing those cool looking instruments of torture!

Diane said...

Yeah, like the fantasy location too....

Songbird said...

Your panel idea is brilliant! (And, no, I don't qualify as a Matriarch...in that sense.)

Kathryn said...

The only trouble is that if i'm going to swing it with my family and/or parish, I'll need to be able to pretend I'm getting some sort of professional training or something...can't just swan off on a holiday, alas. Can we have something that sounds real but is much more about being together??

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

So with you on speakered out... maybe even the title of the event could help some with the struggle to give it more "approval" shall we say - something about mentoring or generation to generation women in ministry...

revabi said...

You are very clear on this aren't you.

Love the fantasy location. Sandals does kids. Resorts do kids. Beaches do kids.

I know it is hard to be awy for the little ones and family.

Presbyterian Gal said...

Thanks for bringing up families and kids. I was wondering who I could farm Wonderboy out to. Either way, I'd work it out.

And those shoes.....It's a Calgon foot soak for you, young lady!!

Songbird said...

I think we may need to try and develop some event planning skills for members before we turn into a total-family-retreat group.

will smama said...

Keep in mind, I wasn't advocating either way - I was just bringing up that the expectations (babies only, etc...) should be very clear.

Songbird said...

No, I know. But I'm concerned because no matter what we choose, someone will be disappointed. And that doesn't just apply to families/kids, but to all the variables.

Lorna (see through faith) said...

I hear you and QG but IF we are to fly over from far away for this - it would be great to have a good keynote speaker - because I for one really miss English speakers esp female ones. (and for those of you in the USA you might be able to use study days for this!)

I'd love the retreat to facilitate our being together - learning from one another - supporting one another and to avoid us being too cliquey which is a real challenge I think. For me there are already RGals that I "know" because I read their blogs, and others that remain unknown to me. The thought of 300 of us together is scary. I don't think I'd cope with that many people 'just' doing fellowship ... worshops in smaller groups (that varied) would help the whole process (at least for me)