Thursday, May 24, 2007

Karma

Today I was briefly in the big franchise store that uses a bulls-eye as its logo. In this particular store there is a small version of a franchise coffee company. There is only one person behind the counter most times and so you either get waited on first, or you wait. If you are in a hurry, the larger version of the franchise coffee company is only a few storefronts away. It even has a drive-thru window.

Now, a seeming sidenote is that I have this quirky thing where if I drop any kind of coin I pick it up and replace it with a heads up penny. If I drop a penny I make sure it is heads up. I always hope that some kid who is suffering through a long day of errands will find it and be totally pumped that they found a heads-up penny.

Okay, back to the small version of a franchise coffee company. I was third in line. In front of me were two women, each with a child around 5 years old. The woman in the front of the line could not have been more than 4'6" and she is frantic. At first it made sense, the credit card machine took her card and didn't spit it back out... frankly I'd be a bit miffed as well. But then it turned out she had shoved a gift card in there rather than a credit card. She is freaking. out.

Finally that is settled and she sprints over to the cash registers of big franchise store that uses the bulls-eye as a logo where they are still processing her order! Basically she had run over in order to beat 'the rush' (all two of us) and was now running back and forth between the coffee and the cashier line!

At one point while she was safely over by the cashier I said to the woman ahead of me and the barista, "I don't think she really needs the caffeine."

Back she came, dragging her five year old behind her and her daughter spots the heads-up penny that I had just left on the floor but heavily caffeinated Mom is in too much of a hurry to let her grab it. The Mom explains that she has a lot of shopping to fit into the day in order to make it to the salon on time. The daughter does not say another word and begins to head out the door with her very frazzled Mom.

Then for some unknow reason the Mom stops, comes back into the area, bends over to pick up the penny and SLAMS the top of her head on the edge of the table that the penny was near (in my defense, I swear it was not directly under the table).

I actually felt pretty bad.... until I went outside and saw her climbing into her Hummer H2 literally using a trendy looking ladder to get into the thing which is bigger than my first apartment.

Then I just felt smug.

17 comments:

ppb said...

I know where you live, and really, there is just no cause to be acting all yuppy like that. (Not that there's any cause ever).

The head bonk?
(snicker)

will smama said...

ppb it was unREAL. Seriously, who needs a car like that on this side of a war?

Lorna (see through faith) said...

Hey I'm about her height and I'd need a ladder too - so quit the sizest sniggers if you please :)

seriously she can't help her height - she can help the rest of it. Sigh

will smama said...

lorna, no 'height-dig' intended; it was only to say that if you need something to help you get into your car, maybe you should consider getting a smaller car.

It is the equivalent to me of very tall/large men buying teensy, weensy sports cars that cause them to have to make chiropracter appointments - just because the status is right.

Purechristianithink said...

She probably came back because she needed the penny to make the car payment.

will smama said...

lol pcit!

By the way, it was the same color as in the picture.

Mary Beth said...

holy freakin smoke!

the poor daughter. I bet she hides on the floorboard.

more cows than people said...

wow! i read this to my husband, it was worthy of a read out loud... and he said "oh my." yes, indeed. oh, my.

Pink Shoes said...

Oh, it just makes me sad. So sad.
And thrilled that I "know" people like you.

Teri said...

hahahah!

okay, so i'm probably going to hell for laughing at this woman's pain, but really.

and the way you tell it?

priceless. :-)

Songbird said...

Way too funny, ws, in the odd and sad sort of way.

Susie said...

"in order to get to the salon"?

Yep. Laughing from that point on...

Mrs. M said...

*cringe*

That's just painful to read about. There's a whole lot of crazy out there...

mompriest said...

Off point here, but I came looking for you to suggest you drop by melissa's blog. She has a photo you might enjoy...I played Friday Five which is how I found her....

will smama said...

mompriest thank you - that picture is awesome.

reverendmother said...

I love that story on so many levels.

Girl said...

heh...I like the story, but really I just wanted to say that my word verification for this is:

mmdonaa

Which, to me, sounds a lot like the subject of your previous post :)