Monday, May 21, 2007

Ergonomics

So when I received my new laptop one of the things that made me feel old was that the only thing that the directions really talked about was warranties and how to sit properly in your chair so that you didn't seriously injure yourself while typing... seriously.

Everything else is found online which is so very cool once someone tells your ancient ass that the wireless card is INSIDE of the computer just flip the switch on the outside. (Reminds me of when my sister told her first college roommate that she was getting a bigger modem for her computer and watched her flip out as she yelled and screamed about there being no more room for ANYTHING let alone a bigger modem.)

Anyway, turns out I should have read all of that mumbo jumbo about laptop computer placement and the wisdom of buying a separate keyboard because my right shoulder is F.U.B.A.R. and the only thing that helps is long periods of time off of teh internets. YIKES!

And so I join reverend mother in her great experiment (the computer related one, not the three kids one although that is obviously SO much cooler). And I bid farewell for long periods of time to the party I started and I try to figure out what to do with myself with no computer time to lean on.

I also secretly rejoice that my time cannot be used wisely to say... iron because my right shoulder is screwed up and ironing wouldn't do it any good, right?

7 comments:

ppb said...

I think you probably qualify for one of those voice activated computers. Seeing as how you're disabled and all.

Gord said...

See this is why it helps to have both a desktop and a lappy. Not only can we both use the 'puter (as the girls call them) at the same time should we want to do so, but I can alternate stress points.

What it doesn't help with is the whole idea of not looking at a display screen all the time...

Kathryn said...

Ouch...both for injury and deprivation. But perhaps, just perhaps, teh clooney could massage you back to full working order?

LadyBurg said...

Well now, that sucks, doesn't it. Sorry about the shoulder! ]*

That was a gentle punch in the right shoulder!

will smama said...

Worse is I am supposed to be in the first week of a racquetball tournament and we have doubleheader softball games on Wednesday.

The massage is scheduled for Friday afternoon. It is going to hurt so good.

Lorna (see through faith) said...

ironing would definitely be a bad - very bad - idea right now

reverendmother said...

Aw, cool! We're a movement!

I do hope you feel better too.