Friday, March 30, 2007

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Holy Week, Batman!

This week's is from reverend mother who writes:
Well, the Clergy Superbowl is almost upon us, and so, I offer up this Friday Five (with apologies for the irreverent title):

1. Will this Sunday be Palms only, Passion only, or hyphenated?
Hyphenated for reasons both theological - I want them to hear the story and attendance at the mid-week services are significantly less - and practical - If I read a lot of Scripture then my sermon can be a meditation.

2. Maundy Thursday Footwashing: Discuss.
I WANT to be okay with this. I get ALL (most) of the symbolism, theology, worshipful significance. BUT as if being Protestant and mainline isn't enough, I am from the northeast. We don't touch there. My baby pictures show my parents shaking my hand.

3. Share a particularly meaningful Good Friday worship experience.
Spring Break, sophomore year in college, I am in the dorms alone because the softball team was allowed to stay in the dorms but I am injured and not allowed to go on their overnight road trip. Faith crisis happening and so I decide to serve myself Communion using a Snicker bar and diet coke. I wouldn't fight anyone to have them accept its significance or its allowability, but it meant a lot to me.

4. Easter Sunrise Services--choose one:
a) "Resurrection tradition par excellence!"
b) "Eh. As long as it's sunrise with coffee, I can live with it."
c) "[Yawn] Can't Jesus stay in the tomb just five more minutes, Mom?!?"

Well, growing up our youth group led this service on a public beach at the Jersey shore with a couple of acoustic guitars and handouts. We stuck a huge cross into the ground and worshiped while the sun rose up above the ocean and cast a shadow of the cross over the sand and the worshipers. It was definitely an (a).

Here it is a mandatory event that my first year took place overlooking a recently spread cornfield (hard to fully embrace the miracle of the empty tomb over the view and reek of glistening cow manure). My second year took place in front of a building that actually blocked the sunrise. At least now it takes place in our cemetery. Still, it's a (c).

Maybe... MAYBE... if I didn't have to run it to keep it from being either one of the above scenarios or worse then it would make its way to (b).

5. Complete this sentence: It just isn't Easter without...
Worship with trumpets! I am from Big Church, serving in Middle/Small church. I get that and usually I am okay with it. But during Easter 2004 when I SHOULD have been on maternity leave but was not, I looked at our organist and flat out told him if I have to be here on Easter Sunday then we need trumpets. I will never forget the look on the congregation's faces as they realized they were hearing more than just the organ and piano pound out Jesus Christ is Risen Today!

Bonus: Any Easter Vigil aficionados out there? Please share.
When I worked at a Big Church this was one of the pastor's big ideas but who got to 'work' the early morning shift? Why the Youth Director of course! I feel like it is something that really deserves being done right - no shortcuts like running it until midnight and then picking it back up at 6 - and so I think I liked Cheesehead's answer when she said: "Love attending it. Can't imagine throwing the party."





Bunny thanks to artie.com

9 comments:

reverendmother said...

I love that you received the gift of Easter trumpets three years ago.

And... "my baby pictures show my parents shaking my hand."

almost choked on a grape

reverendmother said...

Oh, and amen on a longer scrip allowing for a shorter sermon.

will smama said...

Thanks RM. I laughed because you laughed and it felt very good.

It's communion too so I think we are good to go on the 5 minute meditation!

Teri said...

bring on the 5 minutes...no, wait, we're only doing palms. Darn. I guess I'll have to do 10. Praise the LORD for a lot of singing, children's procession, and long anthem!

cheesehead said...

Great answers, especially that last one.

Pssst: I managed to avoid a sermon altogether this Sunday. It's Deamatic! Reading! Sunday!

Quotidian Grace said...

You're so right about trumpets! I'm excited to be part of our new big church choir as we sing along with the trumpets and french horn AND tympani!! Can't wait.

Sally said...

love the Snickers and coke communion- I reckon if it was valid for you then Jesus would have no problem with it!

MinnRev said...

So well played! When I was a young girl, like around 5, I used to play church and I used a PB&J sandwich and lemonade for communion. My feeling is as long as your heart is in the right place God doesn't mind.

Amy said...

Love your comments about Maundy Thursday. Y'know, a lot of churches are doing handwashing instead of footwashing. That's all fine, but there still an intimacy issue there that freaks me out.