Friday, February 23, 2007

Revgalblogpals Friday Five: Companions on the Way Edition




This week's Friday five as suggested by Jonah and brought to us by Songbird via the revgalblogpals:

Dante had Virgil as a guide. Before he had younger siblings, my oldest child had an imaginary friend named Patrick. Betsy had Tacy. Laura Ingalls depended on her brindle bulldog, Jack. All of them were companions on the way.

As we take the beginning steps of our journey through Lent, who would we take as a companion? Name five people, real or imaginary, you might like to have with you as guide or guardian or simply good friend.


I am going to pull out the Lent and instead focus on a spiritual/physical journey. I am envisioning it as walking through a path in the woods.

There are friends that would have to come with me: LS, LB, SB, SC - what a combination of humor, faith, grace and understanding... and all of them think I am funny. More important to the journey though is that they are funny too.

Another companion would be Winnie the Pooh; not the secular Disney version but the thoughtful A.A. Milne version who would combine just the right amount of humbleness and wise whimsy and could occasionally entertain us with his songs and poems; some about everything and some about nothing at all.

There are a few clergy that I have come across in my day whose wisdom and spirituality have far surpassed my own... and there are plenty more out there. But the ones I respect have all that they have and yet when around them you never feel like you are the lesser because you don't. This companion would be a composite of SS & LS's compassionate liberal, with LR's deep spirituality, and a dab of AKMA's theological depth (but not too much because he uses too many big words).

I would like to bring my upper-30's children. They don't exist right now but I would like to have them along so we can talk about the world as they see it and we can discuss what values and goals are important to them. I am merely choosing that age I guess because that is where I am now and from this perspective it seems like a good place to be, away from both the immaturity of youth and the responsibilities that come when you are older.

My four legged companion (because what journey is worthy without a four-legged companion) would be our Golden Retriver. He tends to run ahead, but never too far and has a habit of checking with those he is walking with just to make sure everyone is still safe and continuing on the journey.

5 comments:

Songbird said...

Count me in! (Especially if Wrigley is coming!)

Sally said...

Love the last picture- and as for those whose wisdom and spirituality I cherish- thank you for reminding me they could have been on my list- and I know so many!

Deb said...

"When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you sometimes find that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it."

Me too, Pooh...

d

LadyBurg said...

I love that you'd take Pooh. What a great little bear to have along! He'd help you find honey too.

DogBlogger said...

I'm also very much with you on Pooh Bear. The old-school Pooh, not the sissified, disneyfied one.