Saturday, December 23, 2006

Short and Sweet Week Update

I am now on the other side of the funeral and things are a lot clearer now. I mean that figuratively in that I feel like I can see to the other side of Christmas now and literally in that I can now breathe through my nose.

Speaking of the funeral, did you know that when you release doves they are actually white courier pigeons trained to return back home. They also cost $150 per bird. The mother of the deceased was VERY high maintenance and had been driving the funeral director crazy so you should have seen his face when I told him she wanted little messages strapped to their legs and he would have to do that while we were driving 45 minutes down to the burial site. It took him a good, stunned 20 seconds to realize I was kidding.

I also have the "doves" and the reading that accompanied them to thank for the scar tissue I now have in my mouth because that is how hard I had to bite it to keep from laughing out loud.

I have a few things to do yet, but I am starting to really look forward to tomorrow. Advent 4 in the morning with ornaments being placed on the Sanctuary tree so that the ol' timers can get off my back about it being the "ugliest tree we've had in 60 years". And I am not done with it yet, but I am excited about my sermon on the Magnificat. Then we celebrate my Dad's birthday with a yummy meal prepared by TDH. Then Lessons and Carols in the pm... ALWAYS great. It is hard to mess up carols with a raging fire hazard at the end. What says Merry Christmas like the faint aroma of a strand of hair burning?

Thank you all for hanging in with me this week. I hope your weekend goes smoothly and that you are able to enjoy the moment of Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Peace, friends.

11 comments:

Songbird said...

I can totally hear you saying that to the funeral director. I love it.

Lorna said...

grin and hugs. You are great!!!!

Kathryn said...

Glad you're through it...and able to laugh too. Wish I'd been there to see the undertaker's face!

cheesehead said...

You are awesome.

I just had to say that.

will smama said...

Ditto to you Lorna and Cheesehead.

Sue said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, and that the funeral is finished up. I hope your Christmas is filled with joy and the kind of laughter that does not cause injury to the inside of your mouth.

Christmas blessings to you and yours.

Reformed Catholic said...

It is hard to mess up carols with a raging fire hazard at the end. What says Merry Christmas like the faint aroma of a strand of hair burning?

This line made me laugh. At my last church, the volunteer who annually gets the candles ready for the Christmas Eve service tried getting the Session to spend some 'capital' funds to purchase small electric candles for use; much safer, and they wouldn't drip wax on the carpet of the new sanctuary. They compromised and decided to buy plastic drip cups for the candles, instead of the paper disks then in use.

We always had a few ushers with the fire extinguishers in hand at the ready in the back of the church !!

ppb said...

I bet funeral directors don't hear a lot of jokes!

Rev Dave said...

I want to hear more about the releasing of the doves and the liturgy that went with it. Sounds like high comedy to me.

Susie said...

You are so hilarious & awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

PPB - I bet funeral directors DO hear a lot of jokes, actually. Where's the funeral directors pals ring - we could go and ask them? BUT I bet they dont deal with birds being released with little notes tied to their legs all that often....