Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Day in the Life

Yesterday I experienced...

The First Wave of Last Minute Shoppers
Woe to ye attempting to make a quick run into Wally World!

The Arrogance of Youth
Young man, about two years out of college came into my office declaring he wanted to be removed from the membership roles. On Sunday one of the things I said in my sermon was something like, "...we might not all be able to perform miracles...". Apparantly this offends him. Seems the Pentecostal church he has been attending lately has informed him that we all can perform miracles. How dare I preach against that sacred teaching, although to be honest I was really preaching about hope.

Son, if we all could perform miracles I would have ten fingers.

Middle Age Denial
If you drive a minivan complete with sunscreens suction-cupped onto the windows with a Winnie-the-Pooh theme then the 'If it's too loud, you're too old' bumper sticker really doesn't belong there.

Textbook Grief
Women talking rapidly; men silent and searching for things to do. It breaks my heart every time.

Grace
I have already lost my pre-Christmas massage to the funeral and thought I was going to lose my haircut too, but my cute hair cutter made room for me today. Yeah!

EDITED IN ORDER TO ASK:
Has anyone else noticed their parishioners talking about the morning and evening services on Sunday as if they are one Christmas Eve service with an option on times?

18 comments:

Sue said...

Sorry about the massage situation. I'm glad you get the Haircut though - these things are important!!

Perhaps you can make up the missed massage with two in the new year.

Lorna said...

good about the hair cut

re the young man ... at least he came and spoke to you ... so often we walk away disappointed but never have the courage to say why

not that you can meet his needs - it's great you could say that too - but still!

Anonymous said...

oh, how I wish my haircut guy could have squeezed me in! The only available times were DURING the rehearsals for Christmas Eve family services. Grr.

TheoOnTapintheBurg said...

Love those hair cutters! I'm going today too. One might ask why we all seemed to have waited until four days before Christmas to get our haircut.....I'm claiming that my hair needs to be cut when it needs to be cut...totally out of my control!

Yeah, I'm getting the very distinct impression that people are picking their "Christmas Eve" service this year. No sense reminding them we are still in Advent, I guess....

Listing Straight said...

Our Sunday morning is going to be Advent 4. Not a carol to be sung. (The discretion of the preacher, another AP). There has been some discussion about how well (or not) that is going to be received.

cheesehead said...

I'm getting my hair cut today, and I squeezed in for a massage on Saturday. Life is good.

To answer your question: Yes. And it pisses me off, if I may be so crass.

Anonymous said...

I just got my hair *done* on Tuesday...

Sunday morning is Advent 4 and the two services on Sunday evening are Xmas Eve.

Why doesn't that young man just perform a miracle so everyone else can perform miracles???

will smama said...

I had my haircut schedule ahead of time - same with the massage. Both needed to be changed due to added assignments I have been given indirectly by The One Who Has Moved. The haircut could be re-scheduled and to be honest so could the massage, just not until January 12.

We do carols here, so there should be no general uproar, I just stick to Advent with the rest of the liturgy and the sermon in the morning and wonder if they will take any folks by surprise.

Just went by the downtown Catholic church - on Saturday and Sunday they are running 10(!) services.

Anna said...

Well, we just decided to skip Advent 4 and go straight to Christmas Eve. But, most of the folks who will come in the morning are elderly and won't leave home after dark, even for church. So it will be their Christmas celebration.

Pink Shoes said...

Wow -- so many folks with hair cuts today -- My appt is at 4, and I'm so excited.

We're doing Advent 4 in the morning, though I don't really know if people *know* that in a way that they won't be irritated when they show up. We'll see!

Listing Straight said...

Yes. Yes. I am sorry. You can have Chinese (good chinese) and Beer and Wine and Chocolate Babka.

And we'll cook breakfast. Any requests? Bacon? Eggs? Homemade biscuits?

will smama said...

But LS if you do all those things how can I possibly continue to berate the point?

If you are serious about breakfast, TDH is constantly requesting waffles and sausage.

Listing Straight said...

Waffles and sausage it is. And coffee. Lots of coffee.

will smama said...

Is this where I say, "No, no you don't have to do that" or should I just say "Yeah!" because this will make TDH so happy with both of us for a long, long time.

ppb said...

sounds like a very full day.

Listing Straight said...

Say "Yeah!"

Purechristianithink said...

Yes, there are folks who are making the morning or evening choice. On the other hand, there are a surprising number of people who are coming to all three: morning and both of the evening ones--because they or one of their family has a role in each. So it kind of balances out.

Mary Beth said...

We're going to three services on Saturday -

Advent IV in the morning

and 7 pm and 11 pm Christmas Services which we are singing in the choir for.

I was feeling like a slacker for skipping the 5 pm Children's Service...not so much, now.