Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Back to Light and Airy

I am not sure why exactly it is, but my father has never really been able to grasp the concept of what is considered to be a decent Christmas present and what isn't. There are plenty of potential reasons for this:
1) He grew up Jewish.
2) He grew up the son of poor immigrants.
3) He grew up in 'old school' Brooklyn.

I am not trying to insult anyone else in the above categories, I am really just hoping the reason is not 4) he doesn't care enough to get better at it.

How bad can it be? Well, my Mom - who gets the brunt of it - has received everything from nothing (an inspired choice to be sure) to a mechanical rat that sang at a very high pitch an indecipherable Elvis tune... complete with thick rat tail.

One year on Maundy Thursday my Dad and a group of twelve men re-enacted the Last Supper. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember it was well received. I did not, however, realize that they had taken a picture of all of them posing as if they were in Michelangelo's painting. No one knew that until my Mom unwrapped her Christmas gift that year of a framed, poster-sized edition of the faux Michelangelo.

Now I wasn't that old and my sister is five years younger and yet I remember us both shaking our heads and looking at it and him in disbelief and saying, "Oh, Dad..."

5 comments:

PPB said...

who wouldn't want aphoto of one's husband in a last supper scene?

TheoOnTapintheBurg said...

Congregants gave me a picture of their dog posing with a stone carving of the last supper scene. It was kind of cute though.

mz said...

poster sized? How about bill-board sized...in a huge chunky-wooden frame.

Purechristianithink said...

I think the "raised Jewish" theory has some merit. My Dad is also Jewish by birth and has some of the same issues.

Lorna said...

my family isn't good at presents either - and surprise my hubby isn't either. He doesn't see the point. Recently I've been educating him into taking me somewhere for my birthday. I Love that and he's grasping that it's important for me. But Christmas is still hard.

DD LOVES giving presents (more than getting) - she's the one with a generous spirit and nature and she's such a blessing at this time of year :)