Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Feel Good Tax

I live in a state that for some reason thinks the world would be better served if you can only buy beer by the case. I don't understand the reasoning for this. If someone has a problem, isn't it worse to force them to buy a whole case? The result of this rule for me is that I either have 24 beers on hand or 2.

Bars are allowed to sell 6 packs, but you pay for the privilege. I am talking a cheap domestic beer costing over $6. Ouch. We have family coming into town and I decided I wanted a variety dadgummit and I was willing to pay for it.

So in I went and I actually got a little bit giddy over the selection that was available to me, chose two different brands (ooh, the luxury!) and headed over to check out. And...

I WAS CARDED!!!

It was freakin' awesome!

Now when my aunt was 40+ she had that happen to her and she actually pushed the beer away and said, "Sorry. You got me," and walked out the door. I did keep the beer. I just had this huge, ridiculous grin - asked for bags for my beer (don't want my parents to see) - and walked out the door.

Hey, that kind of feeling is worth paying extra for!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My word, you Presbyterians are a wild lot, aren't you? And so YOUNG! (leaning on my cane, pushing false teeth back into my head) Why, in MY day...

:0)

Glad you stopped by His Unfinished Work, and gladder still that you left a comment! Be blessed!

see-through faith said...

laughing out loud. This is GREAT :D

Journey Mama said...

I like being carded too, just because I have always been told that I look about ten years older than I am, and I'm hoping this doesn't continue. I mean, it's flattering when you're fifteen, but what if you just want to look like you're in your twenties, rather than being mistaken for the mom of a twenty-two year old girl?

So, anyways, thanks for commenting! I feel blessed. :) Happy thanksgiving!

Gord said...

Is hiding the beer from the parents a side effect of getting carded? MEmories and flashbacks and all that.

TheoOnTapintheBurg said...

You obviously aren't as insane as us. Our answer to the stupid case law is to buy FOUR cases at a time. This provides great variety and intense poverty.

Unfortunately, I have not been carded in ages so maybe I need to return to the pricey six-packs.

Songbird said...

That is very, very funny!

ppolarbear said...

I hated those rules, too. Nothing like having to crawl out of a bar with a six pack of beer....and be seen by a slew of your college kids....just doesn't look right, ya know. But I would do it now....if they would only card me!

St. Casserole said...

I am very depressed now. Thanks, alot. I can't recall being carded.

will smama said...

Yes, on tap, but I happen to know you have help in your household with working through those cases. It is just me in my household and so 4 cases - if my friends aren't visiting - would last me over a year.

Now WITH certain friends visiting... 4 hours. Maybe.

the reverend mommy said...

I like the new "Mix and Match" 6 packs at our grocery store. You can literally get one of everything (just fill up the six pack...)