Monday, October 02, 2006

Would that be an irony or a coincidence?

So we had a really great vacation. It included time at the beach and TDH and I went into the city for a couple of days as a belated celebration of our
10th anniversary. My 'hopefully-future-brother-in-law' used his abundant Marriott points to hook us up with lodging at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Then once we arrived we were upgraded to a suite 43 floors above Times Square - A.W.E.S.O.M.E! This upgrade included permission to use the concierge lounge where I handed a certain celebrity a sugar packet AND managed not to ask him if he was wearing purple socks (I am showing my age with that comment).

TDH and I went to see Avenue Q which is Sesame Street for grown ups. We also saw Martin Short's Fame Becomes Me. Avenue Q was great. Martin Short was PHENOMENAL!!! I cannot even describe how incredibly great and fun and hilarious it was.

Here is where the irony/coincidence comes in. Every show, if available, a celebrity is brought up from the crowd to be interviewed by Martin Short's character, Jiminy Glick. A lot of folks have taken the hot seat: Steve Martin, Jerry Seinfeld, Nathan Lane, Rosie O'Donnell, Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, Regis Philbin, etc... On our night it was......... Bill Irwin.

That's right, Mr. Noodle.

I am totally blaming God's unbelievable sense of humor for that one. She just couldn't resist.

9 comments:

Girl said...

I can't believe you didn't ask Donnie about his socks. I TOTALLY would have!!!??

Actually, I wouldn't have...because I don't really know what that means (sorry, I am 5 years younger than you)...but I WOULD have professed my undying love and devotion and told him how much I admired his work in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as well as the Mulan soundtrack.

:)

ppolarbear said...

How did he happen to ask for a sugar packet? Ya think it was a pick up line? You know those mormons...they're awfully bold.

Songbird said...

I can't believe I deleted that text message...

will smama said...

Songbird - It was a classic text message - AND I have to pay to send them out.

PPB - He didn't ask for the packet. I was getting my own coffee ready and when I turned there he was. As I battled the purple sock voice in my head I handed him my sugar packet. He graciously accepted it, poured some creamer and walked away.

Girl - I figured that is what he always gets so I chose the non-psycho fan sugar packet scenario

St. Casserole said...

I love the Marriott Marquis. Stayed there one February and enjoyed everyhing. No penthouse but comfortable.

What a great anniversary trip!

Glad you are back.

RuthRE said...

Good choice with the sugar.
He's Gaston now? Interesting.
The Marquis is such a convenient and swell location isn't it?

Glad you had so much fun!

see-through faith said...

glad you had a good time.

Sue said...

Isn't Martin Short just wonderful??? And he's Canadian!

The Marriott hotels have the most deliciously soft pillows in the world!! I'm glad you enjoyed your celebration. Happy 10th!

aBhantiarna Solas said...

OH. MI. GOSH. ... you breathed in the same air space as DONNY OSMOND!!

That totally takes me back to my Tigerbeat years. I had his posters all over my room and all his albums and yes, I wore purple socks. Wow ...

I'm glad it was you and not me. I would have made a fool of myself. ;-)