Friday, October 20, 2006

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Job 38 Edition

From the revgalblogpals:

Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story.

whirlwind: I think of an older friend of mine who cannot sit still. She is always trying to make things better for all involved and squeeze so many details into everything that things inevitably get lost in the shuffle. Her saving grace is that she has a heart of gold. The saving grace of our relationship is that I don't live near her so I don't have to deal with her boundary stomping on a regular basis. She is a diehard Mets fan and so my heart goes out to her this morning.

foundation:
Sing it with me now! The church's one foundation is Jesus Christ our Lord...

lightning:
I played softball in Florida in college and I was always amazed how in the lightning capital of the world, coaches would pay no mind to the fact that they were sending their players out into a flat field with one of them holding an aluminum lightning magnet.

den: Oh how I wish someone with a gift for it would come into our small den and guide me in how to make it look beachy and also be a playroom and a place to keep some things. Right now it is just a clutter trap and it makes me sad. It is wasted space and we need the space.

prey: I, of course, have plenty of things that relate to the other spelling (pray) so let me think... ah yes. One of our favorite cat stories is from back when we had three of them and we were in between seminary and this church. We moved 7 times in a year (I'll give you a moment to reflect on that...). One of those places was a friend's half basement. It was cramped.

I heard the cats making quite a ruckus so I went around the corner to check on them and I was disgusted that they had cornered a bug - a REALLY big bug - and then I realized... it was a mouse.

iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw - iw

Here was the thing that made us laugh. Two of our cats were just going ballistic trying to catch this thing - batting it around, pouncing on it, howling, etc... The third cat was fully stretched out on our bed alternately yawning and looking at the other two with utter disdain as if to say (with appropriate Morris the cat enunciation), "Heathens. I receive my food in a bowl."

Epilogue: For all of you PETA people out there we did manage to 'rescue' the mouse and he was last seen running outside (admittedly assisted by a broom).

3 comments:

Songbird said...

That bat story is scary!
And I'm with you on the Ew over mice in the house.

reverendmother said...

I remember being with R at a B&B one time for a much-needed weekend away. We were on the porch, rocking on these rocking chairs and lazily enjoying the gorgeous day with nowhere we needed to be. The B&B cat decided to put on quite a show for us with a mouse she'd caught--tossing it up in the air, etc. It was quite grisly, and such a mood-killer.

Anonymous said...

(SMILE)

We had a rodent visitor a while ago, and when it ran between one of our cat's paws, she looked down at it as if to say, "WOW!" ....and it too ran away.

bummer on the Mets... I was pulling for them.

d