Friday, September 01, 2006

RevGalFridayFive: Driving Edition

... or in my case, Crash Test Dummy Edition.

First my thank you's to everyone who has said a prayer for me and my family whether spoken or unspoken. Thank you. I was trying to keep my post brief (and grateful) yesterday so I did not include a lot of what happened including the rude State Trooper, how absolutely frickin’ demolished our car is, the joys of realizing you have JUST taken collision insurance off said car, and the doctor visit to document my injuries (minor) and get x-rays.

I am sore today, but not any more sore than I have been at other times in my life. I have reawakened some old injuries, but I expect I will be fine.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and cyber hugs with a special thanks to ‘ppb’ for the booby hug.

And now to the Friday Five as presented by reverend mother on the revgalblogpals website (how cool is it to inspire a Friday Five... although next time I hope my Nobel Peace Prize is what does the inspiring, not my latest foible).

Big gentle hugs, soft pillows and heating pads to Will Smama, our resident matriarch and preacher/blogger/procrastinator who was involved in a bit of a fender-bender this week. We're very grateful she's OK, just a little shaken up...In lieu of flowers, I send this Friday Five out to her. Let's all be careful on those roadways.

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.
When we vacation, we drive. I like to drive. I get this from my mother who was always frustrated by the amount of other moms who would sign their kids up to do things, but would not be willing to drive there.
When TDH and I go anywhere I drive, he reads the directions. Occasionally we have been in reverse roles and it becomes clear quickly that we need to switch... immediately.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket?
On our back country roads - through farmland, not housing - I speed. Occasionally there will be a State Trooper back on those roads and I am always a bit miffed that they would pick on the locals rather than those crazy truckers on the Interstate. Favorite conversation with a congregation member about one of those speed traps:
HIM: Gotta trooper hiding out by the Smith Farm.
ME: Wow, did he get you?
HIM: Nah, I flew right over him!

As for tickets, yes I have gotten them. All for speeding. Most unjustified... mmmm, hmmm - yeah right.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience?
There is none available here. This is one of America's biggest flaws. Right now we are a 1 car family and fortunately that is doable for us. But for a lot of folks in a lot of this country there is no public transportation available.

4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.
Massachusetts. Now, I grew up in NJ so I know all about offensive driving, rather than defensive driving. You have to be aggressive and you count on other folks being aggressive too. If you are all on the same page it makes sense. But Massachusetts drivers are beyond aggressive and have entered the realm of kamikaze. They just dive across interesections and fly around traffic circles figuring you don't want to get into an accident either.

On the other side of the spectrum you have PA drivers who are too passive (except for the woman yesterday) and don't know how to merge. It is a combination of folks on the ramp not getting up their speed and folks on the highway not moving over.

5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate?
Well, on a good day, if my key works in the church door... 45 seconds. In bad weather, it can actually be faster. Once there was a fender bender in our parking lot that I had to go around so on that day it was 50 seconds. And if I turn around to wave 'bye-bye' to my son through the door it can be over a minute... even 2.

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving?
Yes. But I do not answer my cell phone while I am driving because I realized I was going to ridiculous lengths to pick up the phone. I was not on my cell phone yesterday, and that was the first accident related question the State Trooper asked me. I think it will be awhile before I drive and talk on a cell phone.

4 comments:

Songbird said...

There was a question about tickets?
I flew right over it.

ppb said...

It's a stone! not a booby hug! Only songbird's husband thinks they are booby hugs! Stone!!!!!

Questing Parson said...

First, it's good you're okay.

Second, I must be a dinasour. I had a small wreck weeks ago that totaled my Honda Hybrid Insight. No injuries, but the car was gone. So now we're down to one car. My communte time is about 30 seconds. We moved the office to the bedroom across the hall. Last month we turned in the cell phones. So I can't talk on the cell phone when commuting to the hospital, etc. I walk. And I've discovered this trip into the past a delight.

Leslee said...

I'm glad you're ok. But I have to tell you that I think your linking abilities rock! You totally linked to a post directly under this one! You Rock!!

And I'm glad you're ok!