Friday, September 15, 2006

RevGalBlogPal Friday Five: Brushes with Greatness Edition

From the now famous revgalblogpals website:

David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called "Brushes with Greatness." Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so...

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.
Alright due to being at the right place at the right time I have met a good many professional athletes but I think the majority of my readers will be more interested in the fact that I have been one of those Today Show groupies you see hanging out behind Al Roker as he does the weather. After the show all four of them (Katie, Matt, Ann and Al) went around and had their pictures taken with folks and signed autographs. They all were very nice.

The best story from all of that is a tad on the gruesome side. As some of you know I had an accident in 1999 that resulted in the amputation of my left ring finger. At the time of the Today show my hand was still lightly bandaged but you could see that I had four fingers, not the standard issue five. But human nature being what it is most folks would see the bandage, not take note of the number of fingers present and simply ask, "What happened to your hand?" - including Matt Lauer. When he asked that as he squeezed in for a picture I simply shrugged my shoulders and said I cut my hand while dunking a basketball. He nodded, the camera clicked and he was off to the next cluster of fans.

(Side note: I did not do it dunking a basketball as I am a white girl with a 1" vertical leap.)

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.
Hmmm, good question. I am not really big on the celebrities, but I do feel like I would be a great loyal friend to one and if they ever start hiring those (kind of like they hire publicists) I should send in my information.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.
Alright, this is probably taking this in a different direction than most, but I have often thought that I would like women who are in emotionally and/or physically abusive relationships - because they think they deserve no better or because they think that is all that men are about - I want them to meet and hang out with my husband affectionately known here as TDH. He is such a good man who respects women, supports me and our marriage and is an excellent father. One of the reason I am so happy to have a son is because I know at least one little boy is being raised to respect women.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?
Alright, this is for the sports lovers out there. I have two baseballs; one has all of the signatures of the 1961 Yankees (Maris, Mantle, Berra, etc...) and the other has all of the signatures of the 1978 Yankees (Jackson, Chambliss, Randolph, etc...). I also have a couple of Bucky Dent's and an autographed Mark McGwire rookie card (although I have a sneaking suspicion the signature was forged, not that it matters anymore).

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?
Since it is a big pipe dream anyway, I will stick with my childhood dream of becoming the first female Major League Baseball player.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago?
Wow... this list is neverending. I'll start with: Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears and the iwwy husband, Michael Jackson, Fox News talking heads, Barry Bonds, the she-bang dude (American Idol), Nicole Richie, Terrell Owens, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Rick Warren, (that's enough for now, not to mention the sitemeeter hits I may get now).

8 comments:

RuthRE said...

I don't want to hear about that Today show crap :) You know those lovely people in blue suits with a large peacock pin on their lapel? Yeah I used to be one of those :)
Did you ever take the studio tour? I think it would be hillarious if you did and I gave it.

I seem to forget that I shared that baseball dream with you :)

I'm a KICKIN' shortstop! :)

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Oooooh, I wish I had thought of Rick Warren ... as well as the person who authored "The Prayer Of Jabez"

juniper68 said...

I know you say that you dont care about celebs, but admit that you were as thrilled as was with those pix of baby suri on the cover of vanity fair....

will smama said...

Juniper, I am just impressed they found a baby that looks enough like them to buy.

juniper68 said...

my goodness, so cynical for a sunday morning :)

ppolarbear said...

Hey, you provoked a question from Matt Lauer---that's something! (Sorry you had to get hurt for it to happen)

will smama said...

You called me on it Juniper, actually I don't think that is the case but it sounds funnier than artificial insemination.

PPB, I know he was just trying to be polite, but part of me couldn't help but think: aren't journalists supposed to be observant?

towanda said...

Wait, *I* wanted to be the first female baseball player!