Friday, August 11, 2006

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Fruit of the Spirit

From reverend mother:

Well, those of us in the United States are on high alert for air travel. Thank heaven, it appears that a huge disaster has been averted. Meanwhile, dreadful conflicts continue in the Middle East and around the world. We here at RGBP certainly hope and pray for safety, peace and fullness of life for all the peoples of the world.

Galatians 5 describes the fruit of the Spirit. With all the sadness and despair out there, we certainly need it! So, the Friday Five is simple. Pick any five of the following attributes and go wherever the Spirit leads you... your choice! Suggestions: When have you experienced this attribute? When have you struggled with it? Or who embodies it for you?

Or if you're feeling light-hearted--just assign a fruit to each one. I think Generosity is a Banana, don't you?


I'm going to go with...

Love - Pomegranate. It's messy and sweet and hopefully has plenty of seeds to keep the love going.

Joy - I respect this in a person when it is genuine. I have a nose for fraudulent joy... and I think it stinks. There are a lot of women out there who think this is what they need to project at all times and I struggle with that... a lot. I have met those who seem to have real joy at the core of their being. None of them are American... or even living in a first world country. Gets one thinking, that's for sure.

Peace

Patience - Anyone that had to deal with me as a child and even into the youth stages of my life probably fits in this category.

Kindness

Generosity - How about the folks who do not work in the church but do volunteer their time for VBS. I thought about that a lot this week. Sure I was tired, but I spent my days around folks who understood what I meant when I rolled my eyes and said "VBS week". These volunteers work all day, transport their kids all over town and then also show up here and spend 2 and a half hours with other volunteers and church kids. Wow.

Faithfulness

Gentleness - Not me. When I think of this word I think of grace, I think of a peaceful presence, I think of someone who just naturally has a way about them. I am none of those things.

Self-control

1 comment:

Listing Straight said...

VBS volunteers. They take my thankfulness to a whole new level... There are even those who don't even have young kids. What have they been reading? The Bible?