Tuesday, August 29, 2006

LATE Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Back-to-School Edition

Because it was too good not to come back to (for me anyway) here is the revgal's Friday Five:

My late mother-in-law thought of September as the “real” New Year because of the number of programs and classes starting. By Labor Day, school is back in session for most of us in the U.S., although there is great variation by region (my children don't return until Sept. 7th!). To mark this, we bring you the Back to School Friday Five.

1. What is your earliest memory of school?
Nursery School - truly the best two years of my life. I remember trucks, fingerpaint, unconditional love and weak craft projects made in a rush because I desperately wanted to get back to the trucks before the boys took all of the good ones (who knew that these crafts were actually exercises for the small motor skills that I now decidedly do not have). This is also where I was introduced to the wonder that is a Big Wheels. Still my favorite Christmas present EVER.

2. Who was a favorite teacher?
I have edited this question from its original version. My favorite teachers arrived my senior year in high school when the school district started a new program designed to get young people into teaching. The deal was they could come straight in and teach from their majors and they would take teacher certification classes throughout the year in order to complete that part of the process.

So my English teacher graduated from Harvard having majored in English. My Sociology teacher had majored in sociology. My chemistry teacher (yes, I was still in chemistry as a senior - had to take Earth Science twice) majored in chemistry. I think you get the point. I am not sure if the best part was that they were so young and still passionate about what they were teaching or that they were only 4 years older than us so it felt like they totally got us. I worked really hard for those teachers and that is saying something (did you not just read that I had to take Earth Science twice?).


3. What do you remember about school “back then” that is different from what you know about schools now?
Kids. They're just mean. The girls especially. The shift happened somewhere in the five years between my sister and me. Kids were not always nice by any means when I was younger, but there was still an innocence to it. Maybe memory has made things seem better than it was, but it seems like the things that I went through fell under the 'kids will be kids' category whereas now with the internet and chat rooms and permissive parents things are more likely to fit into the 'could be prosecuted by law' category.

4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song you learned.
No. But I could sing a song we learned in Spanish called Mi Caballo Blanco . Weird since if I had remembered anything else from Spanish a bit more helpful then maybe I wouldn't have had to take the same level for eight years. That's right... I took Spanish One (uno) for 8 years.

5. Did you ever get in trouble at school? Were there any embarrassing moments you can share?
There is no end to my stories surrounding these two questions. Yes, I got in trouble - nothing major. A couple of stupid fights here, irritating a substitute teacher there... nothing major. As for embarrassing moments - well, how about the time I spent the entire 6th grade square dance with my zipper down? Finally a teacher laughing hysterically told me... about five minutes before my Mom picked me up.

Or another shining moment from my personal lowlight reel: going to the bathroom with no lock on the stall door. The popular girls come in and I don't want them to walk in on me so I quickly kick my foot out to hold the door shut.... only the door kicks open.

Thank you for allowing me to relive that one... think I'll go back to the nursery school memories if you don't mind.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

thanks for sharing these memories ... ouch for the zipper and the toilet stall ... but yeah for young, passionate teachers.

mz said...

Thanks for the memories :)

ppb said...

Oh...I've done the toilet stall one, too.