Friday, June 23, 2006

Revgalblogpal Friday Five: Ice Cream Edition

Summer is here with a vengeance. We took the family out to Baskin-Robbins to celebrate. I have a special affection for B-R because it was my first job during high school. People told me I'd get sick of ice cream working there. Puh-leeze.Without further ado:

1. Ice cream: for warm weather only or a year-round food?
Year Round. Clock round.

2. Favorite flavor(s)
Chocolate chip mint, cherry vanilla, heath bar crunch, a really good cookie dough not the kind that is all vanilla with a smidge of a dough-type product

3. Cake cone, sugar cone, waffle cone, cup?
Cup. Don't want to waste tummy space on cardboard tasting ice cream holders.

4. Childhood ice-cream memory
Well... I remember family trips to the Carvel and my father offering to help me keep up with my soft serve treat since - of course - in the summer heat it was dripping faster than I could keep up with it. He would then proceed to chomp down on the ice cream and make a good half of it disappear. This is probably why I often echo Joey's line from Friends when people attempt to take my food: "Will Smama doesn't share food!"

5. Banana splits: discuss.
Haven't had one in a long time. They remind me of the boyfriend-I-had-before-I-met-the-guy-I-married since we once shared one at one of those places where they give you a huge plate of ice cream for the soul purpose of sharing. I knew things wouldn't work out between us because although I hate it he ordered a coconut flavored ice cream insisting that it was on his side of the plate. Had he not considered the eco-issue of coconut ice cream run off? Apparantly not and soon enough my own side of the plate was contaminated.

Bonus: Baskin-Robbins used to make ice-cream sodas. During the 18 months I worked there, I think I made about 3 tops. They're no longer on the menu, but you can still order them. Question: What are the ingredients/steps for making an ice cream soda?
I could venture a guess but you can find the real answer here.

ESSENTIAL ADDENDUM: How could I have forgotten peppermint ice cream. It is seasonal so when I was pregnant in November we stocked up because WOE BE TO THE MAN WOMAN OR CHILD WHO GOT BETWEEN ME AND MY EDY'S PEPPERMINT!!!!

6 comments:

reverendmother said...

Eco-issue cracks. me. up. And totally agree on coconut ice cream. Why would you do that to cream and sugar and eggs? What have they ever done to you?

Also read it initially as "health bar crunch" and was going to be very disappointed in you, Will Smama.

will smama said...

'health bar crunch' - BLECH!

You are talking to the woman who flirted herself into getting EXTRA heath bar put into her Dairy Queen blizzard WHILE holding her then one year old and shooing her husband away so as not to ruin the illuuuuusion.

Emily said...

Mmm. . .heath bar blizzard. . .

reverendmother said...

Mmm...

By the way, you can vastly improve the quality of McDonald's sundaes by having them put a dollop of hot fudge in *first,* then add ice cream and a second dollop of fudge on top. I find the fudge to ice cream ratio on those things rather unsatisfying otherwise.

Girl said...

RM - how do you ever get the McD's kids to follow such explicit instructions?

WS - I just laughed so loud at the DQ image, someone down the hall called me to aske what was so funny.

Girl said...

You know...in Boston Peppermint icecream is year round...I'm just sayin'...if you wanted it, you could go get it. right. now.