Sunday, June 25, 2006

Missing the First Point

I live in a pretty rural community outside of mid-size college town. We have a newspaper. It is terrible. Just across a natural divide is mid-size city. They too have a paper. Rarely does the city paper have anything relevant to contribute to our rural life.

That is why it was all the more odd that in just one week our church and a church member were mentioned in two separate columns in the mid-sized city paper. In both cases I thought the columnists missed the point.

The first columnist was obviously desperate for column fodder when she drove by our rural, country church and took objection to our sign which at the time was advertising a popular fundraiser in these parts, the pig roast. The sign said: Come to our pig roast! Oink. Oink.

Now in the interest of full disclosure you should know that TDH does the church sign since neither one of us can stomach the standard: What's missing from ch--rch? U.R. - or - Life is fragile. Handle with prayer. - OR my favorite one that I wonder if it means what they think it means - Give God what's right - not what's left!

But I digress... apparantly the words 'oink. oink.' reminded the columnist of childhood friends like Wilbur and another talking pig buddy that I cannot remember now and she reprimanded us for using the phrase and suggested we try something else.

All meant in good fun I guess, but here is my problem with it. She used our church's name and our location yet she never called us for comment or to ask for permission or even to tell us it was going to be in there. WTF?

To me that's rude; not to mention that as a writer she should have gotten the double entendre of oink, oink being the sound a pig makes AND being an invitation to come pig out with us.

I think she missed the point. I'll post the second one tomorrow...

10 comments:

reverendmother said...

I swear, you could write a book.

My favorite East Texas church marquee:

Practice Son control, not gun control.

I'm sorry to say I did not get the pig-out reference. BUT I do hope the column was written tongue in cheek. At any rate--Slow News Day.

mz said...

hee hee...I saw this article in the Metro this morning and thought of you...

mz said...

this article?

will smama said...

rm - Nice marquee.

You know I kept trying to convince myself it was tonque in cheek. We even talked about putting a silly response on the sign inviting her to our next fundraiser but the article really had more of a "lets rip on those country bumpkins" feel.

Rev Dave said...

You guys do a pig roast? I'll be right over. Love those things. Must make me a country bumpkin or something...of course, when I moved into the manse here there was moose poop on the lawn.

Sally said...

I wonder sometimes if the media really notice there is any life beyond the city limits...
Like you I share a dislike of crass Christian posters.
Hope the pig raost went well

zorra said...

Forgive me, but I must contribute my current favorite church sign (from Richmond, Texas):

Without the Bread of Life, You're Toast

cheesehead said...

Mmmm...pig roast...mmmm...tasty.

I'm sorry--was there soemthing else in this post? I didn't get past the idea of pig roast, or spanferlke (sp?) as it is called here.

Oink,Oink!

RuthRE said...

boo

Lorna said...

I do hope you write a book with these funny stories ...

blessings. Hope the pig roast was ... succulent!