Wednesday, May 24, 2006

More from Random Thought Woman

I am stalling from putting together the Order of Worship for this Sunday so I thought I would give you two of the first things I ever heard from Random Thought Woman (RTW).

First one was at a reception they had for TDH and I on the Saturday before I was going to preach for them and then immediately following they would vote on whether I was going to be their next pastor. RTW walks right up to me and says, "Why don't you have any kids? Don't you like kids?"

The next day in the parking lot as I am getting out of the car - remember with my family's future and 7 years of jumping through hoops and dragging myself through seminary and ordination exams HANGING in the balance - she walks over to me and says, "I don't like them gays in the ministry. How do you feel about that - because I'm against it. I've got an article right here that talks about it and it forgets to mention that God says it's wrong. What do you think?"

I was mumbling something about being more than willing to discuss those things with her over lunch sometime, perhaps after she voted to approve me as their next pastor, when the gentleman who drove us to church that morning mercifully interjected himself so that we all could end the conversation and walk into the building.

Interestingly enough she is probably one of my biggest supporters - in her own way - and she has a heart for the church and the children as big as the sky.

That silly God, she just never makes these things cut and dry, does she?

14 comments:

cheesehead said...

Nope, She never does.

One of my most curmudgeonly old curmudgeons is also the guy who introduced me as "The Best Damn Thing That Ever Happened To St. Stoic" at his Christmas party last year.

Of course, he'd had a few...

peripateticpolarbear said...

for real? in the parking lot?

will smama said...

PPB - I assure you there is not ONE exaggeration in the above post. I wonder if you know her by name. I think back then her initials were dk.

will smama said...

cheesehead - Is it EVERY pastor who has one of their most strained relationships with someone who was on the search committee who brought them there in the first place or is that just my take on it?

Looking back on mine: the chair doesn't come to church anymore, 1 member left the church (he of many of my posts), 1 is still here but her husband would have left LONG ago if it were up to him (not too big on the woman thing), 1 is still VERY friendly but aging and rarely attends, 1 remains active and supportive and 1 is now my Clerk of Session.

apstraight said...

I was told by someone to expect that at least 1/3 of the search committee would not be at the church by the time I get ready to leave.. And that's just about true.

Except where I am now.. I'm only close to losing one. I'd better get to work.

Songbird said...

I've got 80% of mine, but it's probably still early days...

Pink Shoes said...

thinking.... thinking... There were 14 people on mine, so if I could remember them all, I could stand to lose a few ... but I think they're all still here...

reverendmother said...

Wow. All nine of mine are still here, although one is in Mozambique for reasons unrelated to me or the church. Perhaps things are different for associates.

cheesehead said...

All of mine are here, but I'm sure I piss off some of them on a regular basis.

But honestly, they are such a tight-knit group that it woud take more than a pastor who pissed them off to get them to leave.

Erm...not that I've tried or anything...ahem...

Sue said...

Only one on my search committee has left, but that was a wierd situation with his wife. I'm still not really clear on what happened there, but she stopped coming to church, and then after tons of pressure from her, so did he.

And yes, my prime nemesis in the congregation was on the search committee. I think he figured me to be an easy mark for his personal agenda. He found out he was wrong.

the reverend mommy said...

Most random comment to date right before worship:
"Are you going to recgonize the love children today?"

Me: "What???"

RCW: "The love children. For graduation."

Me: "Who???"

RCW: "The love children."

Then I realize that the teen aged twins with the last name "Love" were seniors and were graduating. But it sure took me a while to make the connection.....

Quotidian Grace said...

Ohmigod, WS, I just got back from an adult study class that featured Random Thought Man. I can't write about it on my blog because I'm not anonymous enough.

Sample random observations from RTM on the Book of Acts:

-- Was Lydia married? The bible doesn't mention her husband but then it didn't mention Jesus' wife either. (@#!!!!!***)

--Grace, who was the best apostle--Peter or Paul? (Erm...)

--So Luke mentioned the women in Acts to show that they couldn't be trusted either? (Huh?)

Songbird said...

Grace, I told you Jesus was married!!!
;-)

Purechristianithink said...

I think some people agree to be on search committees because they believe that once a person of THEIR choosing is at the helm everything they don't like about their church will go away--and everything they've wished for will finally come to pass. Of course it doesn't work like that so some folks get disillusioned and leave.