Monday, May 15, 2006

Desperation is Motivation for Transportation

The Boy is fifteen months old and doing well. Most of the time I shrug it off, but it bothers me a bit that he will not walk on his own yet. He has toy walkers and our kitchen stools which he will push anywhere and at any time. When he is outside he can go down hills and can push those things anywhere he wants to go. I know he is fine... and yet he will not let go.

Today we had a pediatrican visit where we proved that cognitively he is doing well because he new exactly where he was. For any with sensitive ear drums this was not a good thing. Our pediatrician does a great job with him which sometimes includes a variety of wrestling holds in order to get all things checked. He is not a fan.

The moment of truth came when she had him squawling in her arms after the exam and she said to The Boy, "Let's see how you move when desperation is your motivation."

She put him facing towards me with his feet on the floor.
Once he tried to get down to crawl and she pulled him back up.
Twice he tried to get down to crawl and she pulled him back up.
On the third time when his feet hit the floor he RAN five steps to his Mommy!

He is now zonked out upstairs in his crib... I think I am soon to follow.
My nerves are SHOT!

8 comments:

Songbird said...

Awww. What a cute little guy he is.

apstraight said...

I always have the sense that the dr. is inwardly laughing at me about some of the questions on my list and suspect that she is thinking "Just wait until I get to hang out with my Dr. Friends and I can tell them about this!" But while we are there she is always a good sport.

I wish I could give you the magic formula for not worrying- I can't- so I will stick with what I know. The Boy is Wonderful and lucky to have you and TDH for parents.

Lorna said...

That's about the cruelest thing I've read in a while :(

DD walked really late. Motivation was needed for her too. It came in the form of my dad looking for his notebook. She spied it, picked it up, decidd it was too hard to crawl with it, and so walked. About 15 feet away. Gave the book. Grinned and collapsed.

Hope YOU are feeling better. What trauma. He'd have walked when he was ready to - honest and any paed. would know that. Sigh.

will smama said...

Oh Lorna, it really wasn't as awful as all that, I promise! More comical really. It all happened in a split second too... if he had refused the third time I am sure she would have just handed him over.

I think she was doing it more for me than for him.

RuthRE said...

Well it makes sense I guess.
If there's no *need* why bother?
If crawling is sufficient...crawl...he knows it. If a walker toy is available...use it....he knows it.

Almost (but not quite) like throwing a kid into the shallow end to figure out how to swim.

juniper68 said...

Glad to hear that it was not as mean as it sounded - I was about ready to post:
Yikes! Time For New Doctor....

Leslee said...

I was a late walker too. I would pick up my walker and walk around the house, I guess it was my safety net, just in case you know. I'm glad you are all resting now. Maybe tomorrow he'll try tha walking thing out again.

will smama said...

One of my challenges in life - and in writing - is that I have trouble getting all the details out. I can see the picture in my head, but I do not always communicate it well.

I walked at 14 months, my sister walked at 16 months, the boy is at 15 months. Everyone - including the dr. - knows he CAN walk on his own, he just chooses not to. No one is really that worried about it.

I mean really, how many able-bodied college students do you meet who can walk, but say they just never gave it a try and then they whisk away pushing their fisher price toys?

I was right there. TDH was right there. The Boy was fine, just tired of being poked and prodded and he was being poked and prodded during naptime. So when he was done she put his feet on the floor and aimed him towards me and kept him on his feet rather than letting him crawl.

All is well.