Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Unfair. Duh. Truth. Freedom.

Unfair.

In a post exactly a month ago I wrote about my newfound discipline of leaving a clean desk at the end of every day. The closet is still a nightmare, there are various piles around the periphery and my bookcases look like a mini-tornado went through. The desk is the discipline - for now.

Part of the challenge was that I would post a picture of what it looked like when I walked in today, March 14th.

It ain't pretty, BUT...

it is a bit unfair and here is why. My fellow pastors will back me up when I say that Sunday is also known by another title: Dump on the Pastor's Desk Day.

For the past month I have stuck to the plan and cleared off the desk. This Sunday I did leave some things on there albeit in piles.

Monday is normally my day off, but instead I had meetings starting at 5:30 and ending at 10. I stayed a bit late, but I was wiped out and actually could not keep my eyes open any longer.

So this morning I walked into my office and it was not pretty... and then I looked at my calendar and it said: Desk Picture.

DOH!

So that is the picture - raw and uncut.

It took me an hour to get it back to this. It took me that long because I followed the only touch a piece of paper once theory and I actually worked through the piles. And yeah, I am pretty proud about that. You will also note that that the 'Does this pulpit make my butt look big?' tank is on the computer screen.

Duh.

In a Lenten post I wrote this: I decided to join Leslee at Fresh Cut Flowers and cut down on my home computer time. This means no blogging or reading blogs or checking my work email from home.

Here is what I have learned:

  1. It is VERY HARD to not check my work email at home.
  2. If I do not blog at home then I blog at work and truly that is a not a good use of my time. It is much better to be at home and once The Boy is in bed and TDH is doing his thing then blog.
  3. It is STILL a major challenge to not check the work email... it is as if it is calling me.

Truth.

Admittedly I have put on a few pounds. My solution? Get pregnant again.

Alas, it did not work and now I am ready to admit that a distaste for getting on the elliptical trainer is not a good reason for getting pregnant... no matter how strong that distaste is.

I was on there for 40 minutes today. It felt good - the elliptical trainer that is.

Freedom.

Well, I was all ready to post triumphantly about how I and my laptop with its wireless connection were on the couch, but I did not get the power cord disconnected and reconnected in new place in time so I am, in fact, back at the dining room table where I have always been.

Phew, that felt good. I feel like I have been gone forever!

11 comments:

Songbird said...

Wow, good for you for getting on the elliptical! 40 minutes is great. You inspire me.

will smama said...

Don't be too inspired. I just checked my work email.



I feel so dirty.

A. Lin said...

"Get pregnant." Believe it or not, it was a solution for me. However, my dh and I wanted two kids and the timing was right. I loved being pregnant and not having to suck in my stomach when I wanted to appear thin. With pregnancy, it all hangs out.

But my baby was born in July, so I have been slowly losing weight since then. Down 23 pounds from pre-pregnancy. It is much tougher to take them off than put them on.

I think that the elliptical is the cheaper solution to the weight dilemma rather than having another child.

see-through faith said...

loved this post.

be blessed :)

will smama said...

A. Lin - the sad thing for me is that I did lose the majority of my pregnancy weight. I am now carrying holiday, vacation, I-work-in-a-church-and-people-bring-me-sugary-starchy-yummy-food-as-gifts weight.

Softball season is coming so I will continue getting some exercise in, but I have not given up on my first option either.

Lorna - that picture was for you!

juniper68 said...

I hear ya sister. "Get pregnant" is the answer to lots of annoying little questions around here, especially when the moon is full....

:)

Songbird said...

Not here!!!

Leslee said...

Ok, I have a confession to make to you. I too have struggled in the lack of home computer time, so like you I wait until at least Peanut's in bed. Nickel spends most of every night on his computer playing D&D so it's not like I have anything else to do. I think that spending less time on the home computer will be something I continue after Easter.

I wish my husband would consider having another child, but he's adiment about not. I'll just have to keep sucking in the belly here I guess.

Sue said...

Wow. Great post, and good for you for doing 40 minutes on the elliptical trainer. That's amazing.

Nice desk.

Because there are times when the demands on my time and energy at home can be almost as much as at the church, I don't receive or check any church-related emails unless they are urgent (as wisely assessed by Super-Secretary-Who-Must-Never-Retire).

I try really hard to separate the home/church stuff, otherwise it's just one huge mountain of Need, as opposed to more managable tasks.

the reverend mommy said...

Nice desk.
Both times.
=o)

I want a picture/sign that says "A neat desk is a sign of a messy mind."

Well, it's a good theory.

LutheranChik said...

I'm looking at your desk and not seeing a problem. That looks like my clean desk. (And you will not be seeing a "before" picture of mine on my blog anytime soon.;-))