Monday, February 27, 2006

Politically Incorrect

I think ultimately this is a post about my frustrations with the media, but we shall see how it comes out.

Is it just me, or has the media's spin on New Orleans and Mardi Gras taken a serious turn this year, post-Katrina? It seems like last year at this time the news was all about how Mardi Gras had become this sordid thing that had gotten out of control of local officials. Now this year it is being heralded as this great tradition that a city is clinging to in order to keep its heritage.

I went to college in a state that was inundated with Spring Breakers. The folks who wanted to party even harder than that went to Mardi Gras. That was over ten years ago and even then they came back with scary tales and warnings to stick to about a 3 block radius in the French Quarter if you didn't want to risk serious bodily harm.

I cannot find evidence of it now, but I seem to remember there was a lot of media spin last year on how spring breaks have gotten out of control and the one they would lift up the most was New Orleans' own Mardi Gras.

So tell me, am I wrong about the reputation of New Orleans and Mardi Gras pre-Katrina? Am I just being a prude?

Or maybe Mardi Gras has finally been returned to the ones who treasured it the most, the people who live(d) there.

4 comments:

Songbird said...

On that last note, there was a great piece on Morning Edition today about the band at MAX High School, a merger of St. Mary's, St. Augustine's and St. Xavier's, a band which is marching in every parade because it is the only high school band in the whole city now.

will smama said...

Yes. That is great!

Quotidian Grace said...

I'm totally with you on the media spin re: Mardi Gras.

Over the years I've heard my share of horror stories, too. You can't encourage people to drink excessively and act crazy without getting BIG trouble--and that's exactly what you get. I was never a fan of the traditional Mardi Gras--and I still am not.

SingingOwl said...

Yep. I noticed the same thing. Katie Couric had a perch overlooking Bourbon St. Sheesh! Sad and kind of sick, IMO.