Thursday, January 05, 2006

Top 10 Reasons I need a Vacation from my Vacation

10) Two words: stomach virus

9) The guilt I will carry in perpetuity for spreading the stomach virus to our family and friends (how happy is reverend mommy NOW that we missed out on lunch together).

8) The day I spent with my Dad at the VA Hospital.

7) It was my job to push him around in an extra-wide wheelchair while he barked where to turn right as we were about to pass it. He then wondered why I couldn't stop and turn on a dime.

6) At one point we were in a wheelchair congested hallway and my Dad said with emphasis, "Beep. Beep."

5) The man blocking our way had stopped for a rest because he had no one to push him...

4) ... and only one arm.

3) I still had a touch of #10.

2) After a full day of pushing and going out to the far reaches of the parking lot to get the car and loading him in my Dad says in typical Old Florida Person fashion (see Seinfeld), "You need the a/c on?"

1) I am staying at TDH's brother's house. They. have. no. beer.

One week from right now, we'll be home. Thanks be to God.

5 comments:

Listing Straight said...

Well, you could have stayed home for your vacation and gotten calls from work all week.

I hope that #10 is over and that you find a way to remedy #1. The sound of no beer is deafening.

Mary Beth said...

Oh, lordy. We better not get our dads together or they will duel in the wheelchairs and terrible chaos will ensue.

They would have a blast though!

juniper68 said...

Although we love our lives on the edge of the continent, 1300 miles from our families, we often consider moving back there, so we don't have to waste every single frickin vacation of our lives visiting them.

Which is a long way of saying, I've had this vacation you're describing before (only the beer started flowing each day at ten in the morning...) and there's nothing to do but laugh and pray and then laugh some more. :)

Preacher Mom said...

I've found that as pastor-next-door-to-the-church, I have to leave home to vacation. But if every vacation was like this one, I might prefer stay home!

Think of it this way: you are getting some great ideas for blogging!

Hang in there and feel better soon!

see-through faith said...

Missing you - really missing you!

hope you return home soon