Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Appropriate Mourning?

This morning I received word that another one of my favorite older parishioners died (yes, I realize I am on quite a roll). His family came up and I met with them at the nursing home. I ate lunch with them and then they invited me to his room, warning me that he was still in there as the body was not scheduled to be picked up until 3pm.

The windows were wide open as to keep the room as cold as possible and they left me in there to pay my final respects. As they shut the door behind me and I walked around the curtain to say good-bye it struck me very suddenly what I had to do but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate.

I stopped and listened for any nurses or family coming back and then...

I used his bathroom.

Hey, when you gotta go; you gotta go.

11 comments:

reverendmother said...

Yet another Thing They Don't Teach in Seminary.

Girl said...

I am sure he would have been proud ;)

Apostle John said...

I did a funeral one time with a guest pastor, and as soon as we entered the sanctuary he whispered that he had to find a restroom. I wish I hadn't told him. His eulogy went on and on and on and on and on and on!

:)

Songbird said...

Somehow I don't think I would have been able to do that. You are a braver one that I, will smama.

Songbird said...

By which I meant "than."

the reverend mommy said...

Yeah, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Preacher Mom said...

Once again - you crack me up! Good for you for "taking care of business."

will smama said...

songbird - without getting too graphic, let's just say I did not have much of an option.

Purechristianithink said...

Dead men tell no tales.

will smama said...

pcit - lol!

see-through faith said...

loves this.