Thursday, October 27, 2005

Newsletter Article

Every month we put out our church's newsletter. I usually try to put some sort of article in there from me personally although rarely on the front page. I figure the newsletter is to get information out and not for me to wax poetic about winter snow or the theological significance of the spread (click here for my rant about spread)on the fields.

The problem is that with all I usually have to say at any other time, when it comes to newsletter time... I've got nothing. Now part of it is that usually I haven't thought about it ahead of time and all of the sudden I am facing a deadline of yesterday. Now usually such deadlines get my juices flowing but not in this case.

So with that AMAZING fanfare, here is November's article with only three minor edits:

Beloved Children of God,

One of my favorite times during Session meeting is toward the end when we lay business aside and we pray for one another. We not only share our joys and concerns that evening; we also pass around a cup filled with the names of everyone in the meeting and whomever we draw becomes our prayer partner for the month. Sometimes God’s sense of humor is witnessed firsthand as the person with whom we disagreed with the most is often the very name we draw.

This past meeting as we went around and said who we were praying for this month we also shared something we are looking forward to as we enter the busy holiday season. Spending time with family certainly topped the list.

It got me to thinking how thankful I am to be sharing this time in my life and in my ministry with you, the family of Church.

This will be our fifth holiday season together and the familiarity that brings gives me a sense of comfort and warmth. I am looking forward to another season of thankfulness, Hanging of the Greens, the build up of Advent towards the celebration of Christmas, the joyful lessons and carols of the Christmas Eve service and this year an opportunity to worship and share with one another our gifts on Christmas Day.

I am so thankful that The Boy’s first holiday season will be spent surrounded by folks who have loved him and prayed for him before he was even born. I look forward to watching him take in all of the sights and sounds of the holidays at Church.

What are you looking forward to?

Peace be with You,



I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus.
– I Corinthians 1:4 (NRSV)


So my friends, what are you looking forward to?

8 comments:

Girl said...

cereal

will smama said...

Excellent, excellent answer

brother terry said...

Slow, quiet time with family.

peace,

p.s. I can't believe Girl mentioned food! Ew!

will smama said...

It’s ok, Brother Terry, I happen to know her cereal comment is actually her way of saying exactly what you did.

Girl said...

Thank you for sticking up for me :)

Lorna said...

what I love is that your church's way of giving prayer partners for the month. I love it love it love it

I'm looking forward to
*finishing my seminary studies for this term (soon Lord, soon)
*reading some books for pleasure not just educational
*jigsaw puzzle with family at Christmas
*the ecumenical christmas carol service in English on Dec 13th - for me that's in some ways the start to my personal Christmas season

and so on

PS thanks for your comment today. Wasn't sure if it was tongue in cheek or what. But I will answer it -later!

blessings over the weekend

Apostle John said...

As Pastor/Church Staff Appreciation Month comes to a close, know that you are appreciated for what you do in God's work.

St. Casserole said...

I'm looking forward to seeing our daughter at Thanksgiving, then at Christmas.
I'm looking forward to preaching through Advent again this year. I never tire of the season.
Many thanks for an excellent post.