Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Boot to the Head Awards

Some interesting nominees from last week (doesn't Pat Robertson's foot-in-mouth seem so long ago after the week we've been through).

Briefly, the non-hurricane nominees were: those who schedule committee meetings during Sunday School hour, those families who skip the church retreat, and those folks who do not come to worship because it is outside, in a different place.

Then you had our hurricane nominees: Michael Brown, the people who did not evacuate out of arrogance, FEMA, the Red Cross (although I have been better informed now about why they were not initially present and would like to retract them as a nominee. Apparantly Homeland Security was not allowing them to go into New Orleans), generally all of the folks we took turns yelling at our tv screens at last week were nominated.

Looking at all the nominees, I believe our Boot to the Head Award must go to the hurricane itself. Too bad we cannot physically punch it back. The best we can do is stand up and brush ourselves off after such a brutal potential knock out blow.

Who is your nominee for this week?

11 comments:

Girl said...

I would like to nominate the man that I am no longer admin for who CAN NOT get it in his head that I am no longer his admin. Actually, I REALLY would like to submit his current admin who went on vacation the day after we switched making it impossible to actually follow this new model correctly! Grrrr...

Songbird said...

I'm nominating Michael Brown of FEMA.

Apostle John said...

My nomination is Brown of FEMA. I bet he is a great, likable guy. Just totally unprepared and unqualified for this job.

r.e. poet said...

Like to nominate again Le Sabre person. Got up on Sunday and gave an 8 minute announcement, about how sad he was about the hurricane. In the pews were people who were displaced, homes lost, stayed in attics for 3 days, but Le Sabre was sad cause he saw it on tv. 8 minutes of this. He then thinks, I know the answer. Pumpkins (we sell them in October). He then mentions that while our governing body has already decided where the proceeds from pumpkins will go, he wants to change that. No problem. Then another person begins a parlimentary procedure discussion with him, about what is and isn't appropriate, all DURING WORSHIP. They argue on the floor of the worship meeting, and the announcement goes 8 Minutes, no kidding.

reverendmother said...

I second incoherent's motion. That stuff during worship just chaps me.

Update: the committee that wants to meet during Sunday School has been dissuaded, but they had already scheduled a meeting this Sunday that will proceed. I don't have it in me to fight it. It's SUNDAY SCHOOL KICKOFF, for the love of God! But no, we gotta have us a meeting.

will smama said...

Michael Brown is going to be hard to beat. You can't on the one hand say that FEMA had projected a crisis like this on then on the other hand say that you weren't prepared for the water to stay.

What a mess.

will smama said...

Announcements during worship... ah yes, my favorite is folks who forgot their announcement or who could not make it to worship on time so during the joys and concerns they say something like: I would like to lift up the Presbyterian Women and their luncheon today at 1 so that the Lord will lift up those making cakes and provide them the ability to bring them early at let's say 12:30.

reverendmother said...

LOL!!

cheesehead said...

will smama, at least they tried to kind of make it sound like a joy and concern, unlike my people who try to teach me (and everyone else) Church History 101 during annoucements.

will smama said...

Okay revmom, you are going to have to share more about that one. Do you mean your specific church's history or church history in general?

cheesehead said...

I mean the history of Protestantism! On Reformation Sunday! Like I wasn't going to get around to Luther.