Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pressure Nap

My 6 month old son is in the office with me this morning. Right now he is in his pak n' play heading (hopefully) for a nap.

It is always challenging to have him in the office. I do not get near as much done of course and really have no time for procrastination of any kind... hence me typing this blog, incredibly crucial to not only my congregation but our human existence as we know it!

The first time I had him in my office I knew he was my charge for the week (his stay at home Dad was on a mission trip). When I laid him down to nap I almost went into a panic trying to figure out all I had to do and if you were looking in my office you might have used the word frenzy. I was here, I was there - "Oh my God I have so much to do in the 20 minutes he naps! AAAh!!!"

Not that I accomplished anything mind you. It was like a weird baby-napping-brain-freeze made all the weirder because I am generally quite cool in an emergency or adreniline-based event.

I am much calmer this time around - although still accomplishing very little (except saving our way of human life as we know it, of course).

He's drifting off(him)... deep breathes(both of us)... time to write a sermon(me)...

5 comments:

TinyD said...

There's only one thing to do when The Boy naps ... sleep! :-) All that stuff you think you have to do can wait. Catch up on your own precious sleep, trust me. Nice to meet ya, Will, keep it up.

Girl said...

Of course, then he naps and you are watching him... ...his beautiful eyelashes gracefully fluttering...his dimples flattened by peaceful slumber...his soft auburn hair that only comes from your own childhood... ... ...and then 20 minutes are up.

How do they DO that?

Back to work for me.

Songbird said...

I remember feeling I could barely get to the bathroom and back again...

Purechristianithink said...

OOOH--I did the baby in the office trick for eight months. It doesn't really work very well, but you muddle through. After the baby can crawl, though it REALLY doesn't work.

will smama said...

girl - It's their sweet breathe that pulls me in more than anything else. In this case for his sake and mine I put the shade down on the pak n' play so we both could concentrate on what we were supposed to be doing.

purechristian... you are a better person than I. I have no idea how you pulled that off. I love my son, but most folks around us agree that the right parent is staying home with him the majoirty of the time.